1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Karl J Kahila

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Who da Ville, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Who da Ville

Who da Ville

I bought my fully carved Romanian flat back bass about a year and a half ago from a bass luthier in Portland, OR. It was affordable (almost), has a great sound & I love it.

Inside, it says "Made in Romania" and "Reghin", which I understand is a city with more than one bass factory.

Serial # 618559652 Does anyone know how to get any info from the serial # (such as when it was made)?

There was a name on the back: "Karl J Kahila". Shortly after I bought the bass, I did a quick google search & found an article in (what at 1st glance to my un-educated eye looked like) some east-European-looking language. The article mentioned what I thought at the time was a touring double bassist. I mentioned that to the guy I bought it from, & he said a friend of his found the bass in Vancouver, BC.

I did another google search recently and found this:

http://www.vcn.bc.ca/vfc/WCN/WCN_Apr05_v4/

That's Karl playing my bass! I bet he played a lot of polkas on that thing over the years.

Anyway, I thought that was a cool story & wanted to share. It's always good to know a little history about your instrument.

Attached Files:

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

A cool piece of history there.

Just FYI, we very much prefer Northern-Europe or even Scandinavia over anything that begins with East ;).

Regards
    Sam
  3. Who da Ville

Who da Ville

I understand your point, Sam. I'm not very familiar with European languages, & in my simple mind I thought that since the bass was made in Romania, maybe the owner was east European.

Now that I understand that Karl was active in the Vancouver, B.C. Finlandia Society, it all makes sense.

I'm still curious; Does anyone know how to decifer the serial # to determine when the bass was made?

Clint
  4. kevteop

kevteop

We call you Santa-Land, or Racingdriverland.
  5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    I think that your bass is a 'Roma' but I'd like a look at the label to confirm. If its a Roma, they don't serialize the basses and that number would have been installed by the importer/retailer/owner.

Can you post a pic of the labels?
  6. Champagne

Champagne

Could be a Hora bass too?
  7. Jake deVilliers

Disclosures:
    The shape of the lower bout and the purfling at the button don't really say 'Hora' but... ;)
  8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

No worries, we were sometimes called Soviet Finland because of our SF country acronym/abbreviation.
    That POed us to no end as You can imagine.

Now that's more like it :).
    Those we are known for world-wide.

Regards
    Sam
  9. Jake deVilliers

Disclosures:
    According to the phone book, Karl is alive and well and living in Vancouver. ;)
  10. Who da Ville

Who da Ville

I'm afraid I assumed the worst when I found out I had Karl's bass. I hope he up-gaded to something really sweet. His old bass was pretty well-worn by the time I got it. The luther I bought it from spruced it up a little last fall.

Here are some more pics.

I just noticed they spelled Romania with a 'u'

Reading up a little on Roma bases on this site, some of the models pictured have the blonde neck and the ebony trim piece like mine. The serial # is just above the ebony trim.

As I understand it, the name Roma came from the importer, not from the manufacturer? So how many bass shops are there in Reghin anyway?

Guy I bought it from said it was made in the early '80's, but I don't know how he deduced that.

Thanks for the info.

Attached Files: