Karnivool bass tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PauBass, Nov 23, 2009.

1. PauBass

PauBass

Yes, it's another one of those how to get this tone thread, sorry but any help would be highly appreciated.

I'm trying to find my ideal distorted sound and listening to Karnivool I really liked the bass sound on "Simple Boy", a track from their latest album, right at the beginning of the song. Listen here:

I'm not trying to copy his tone but it's similar to what I have in mind. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. uglymutt

uglymutt

Can't help you but nice to see you like Karnivool, hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can help out.

3. Luke.Walton

Luke.Walton

4. LiF

LiF

You posted this a few weeks too late. His father was the drummer in my band. I could have asked him to ask his son. I do know he plays a 6 string Warwick.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hipo

hipo

7. Mark B

Mark B

Karnivool is a great band! I think Sound Awake is even better then Themata. :D

I accidentally found that Simple Boy sound with my Ashdown hyperdrive bass pedal...

I distort the high mid frequency and blend it with my clean bass signal. About 1/3 distorted sound and 2/3 clean sound. You can copy James Lomenzo's favourite setting (on the ashdown site) and turn the freq down a bit untill 2/3. That's where I get that tone. :hyper:

Good luck and I hope it helps!

8. icarussmicarus

icarussmicarus

In one of the pedalboard f the stars threads, someone had messaged him personally and asked about his setup. In his reply he mentioned he had recently added the Tech 21 XXLB and Boss DD-20 for the new album.

I'm guessing Simple Boy is the XXLB run through his ampeg. He probablly cranked the ampeg during recording for an even more vicious sound.

9. PauBass

PauBass

Thanks for all the input guys!

Yeah, Karnivool are a great band and the basslines are superb, very tasty.

So it's the Tech 21 XXLB the way to go then?

I don't know but after listening to a few clips it seems to me that the distortion it's a bit fizzy instead of more organic.

10. jimmyjames

jimmyjames

pulled from an interview..

"he bass sound on Simple Boy was combination of I think either the ODB-3 boss overdrive or XXL Tech 21 pedal through an ampeg rig with the valve being driven and then combined with the DI being distorted by Amplitude 1 plugin, live I just use the XXL through Ashdown ABM500/Ashdown fridge in combination with an Aguilar Tonehammer through an Ashdown/Ampeg fridge at the same time. The Aguilar is supposed to emulate the distorted DI tone I had on recording so it has lots of the bass pulled out and sounds kinda horrible by itself. Adds colour to mid range live though.

Goliath was a bit different, it was a combination of ODB3 and a pedal called the Black Stone, which is made in NY and is very small. That was then put through both an Ashdown ABM 500/Ashdown fridge and an Ampeg SVT-2pro/Ampeg Fridge (mind you the studio we did this in had a vintage 70's Ampeg cabinet so it sounded huge. Actually tracked that at same time as drums, so it was a bass/drums live recording. Did same with Deadman in that studio. All else were tracked elsewhere at another studio."

11. PauBass

PauBass

Good info, cheers!
    I wonder how he does it live, any ideas?

12. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

"live I just use the XXL through Ashdown ABM500/Ashdown fridge in combination with an Aguilar Tonehammer through an Ashdown/Ampeg fridge at the same time. "

it was in the bit you just quoted....

13. huyload

huyload

I once tried to get his distortion tone just for fun, so I fiddled with my Boss ODB-3 and got really close it; almost just like it.

Like PauBass' post, it's not surprise that he stacks another pedal with the Boss ODB-3. But you can really get close to Karnivool's bassist tone with the ODB with the right settings.

If you notice, he also has this 'hollow' sounding bass sound, almost like the EQ's scooped. That tone has to come from your bass' natural clean tone. If you can find that, and add the right drive, you should be able to get his tone.

All the best!

14. willsellout

willsellout

I had the chance to see them live a couple times and it seemed like a lot of the tone comes from his bass and the way he plays. The 6 string Thumb and an aggressive pick style imparts a lot of that.

That being said, I can get that tone quite easily on the Darkglass B7K.

15. Anarchyok

Anarchyok

Jono now has a Darkglass B3K on his board I beleive!

16. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe, GigRig, COG Effects
  17. dreads311

dreads311

Just checking in to say its awesome to see some Karnivool fans. Sound Awake hasn't left my car CD player in over a year :) Would love to see them in the US. Good luck with the tone quest, OP!

18. willsellout

willsellout

I've been lucky enough to see them twice in California. They are so amazing live it's not even funny. Can't wait for the new album to come out.

19. willsellout

willsellout

20. dreads311

dreads311

You lucky duck!