1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

KCBasses (anton krutz gamba)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassdad234, Jun 20, 2006.

1. bassdad234

bassdad234

Does anybody own a KC Strings anton krutz gamba bass/ or has anyone played on one? Do their extensions really bring out the bass sound? Forgive me if this question has been answered before.

2. sibass89

sibass89

I haven't played the Krutz gamba before but I have played a bass setup by KC Strings and it had the latched extension. The extension sounds incredible and the setup is great as well. When I upgrade my bass towards the end of college it will definately be one of the places I search.

3. bassdad234

bassdad234

Sibass, did the extension make the instrument much heavier? does the sound improve enough to "overweight" the burden of adding weight?

4. farmerdude

farmerdude

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Plato

Plato

I visited the K.C. Strings shop when I was staying in Meriam, KS on vacation. I bought one of the bass stands/stools. ($130 and doubles as a stool and stand, very cool). I tried an Anton Krutz bass with thier C extension while I was in the shop.

I didn't really get a chance to play it in an ensemble, but this bass had a huge sound.... Sounded like a very expensive Euro. made bass. At a list price of $18,800, I would have to seriously consider it if I was in the market. It was a very energetic instrument. The pizz. sound was incredibly resonant and responsive. I couldn't tell that the C extension was on the bass as far as the weight and balance go....

7. farmerdude

farmerdude

I have played that same bass and didnt have a good word to describe it but you nailed it..."energetic"...strike a string and the bass feels like something alive in your hands...

8. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas

I was a customer of theirs for many years. I own a Krutz violin-corner bass with a sliding extension. It's not their expensive one. Mine was around $10K. I played it without an extension for about four years and then another four with the extension. The Ab (on E) was very weak when I first got the bass. After the XT was put on many of the irregularities disappeared and it opened up overall. It does, of course, add weight, especially the sliding XT because of the extra brass for the stopping mechanism. It added enough that I noticed but not so much that it was going to be an inconvenience.

I did take two of their expensive Gamba models home to audition once. One with a gated XT, one without. They were both very responsive and I couldn't tell much of a difference between the two in regards to the XT. I would've loved to keep one but they were both out of my range at the time.

9. Plato

Plato

Yeah, it felt like every air molecule in the place jumped. I was pumped.

10. bejoyous

bejoyous

The more weight is on the scroll, the less it vibrates and the more bridge vibrates. Therefore, the bigger the sound.

Ever notice how everyone goes on about how colossal older English basses sound? You'll notice they all have thick brass plates on the cheeks of their scrolls.

11. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

A friend of mine just put a KC "B" extension on his bass. The scroll moves and vibrates like crazy when he plays the open B. So I am not sure about all that stuff about making the neck not vibrate as much.

12. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Proof, please. Data, acoustical studies, anything?

13. anthem274

anthem274

I've played a couple of the KC basses and I felt that they were set up poorly. This may have been because of a situation where they had to set up the basses quickly, but from what I experienced, the strings were way too high and the sound was more intense than colorful.

Like I said, the setup could have been the result of many things. Hopefully I didn't try out the truly finished product.