1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Keep Markbass LM 3 or get Peavey Classic 400?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brockkiemel, Aug 28, 2013.

1. brockkiemel

brockkiemel

Yes I know we're talking two completely different animals here.

I recently picked up the Little Mark 3 used from GC. I like it, great tone and easy to transport (never cared about that I'm 28). Here's where I'm stuck. A guy with a classic 400 emailed me back and I could return the markbass and pick up the classic 400 instead. I've never heard the classic 400 but have read great reviews.

Taking in to account the fact I plan on doing a good amount of touring over the next couple years... Is it worth the extra bulk, and occasional re tubing to ditch the markbass?
  2. brockkiemel

brockkiemel

If it helps I play heavy rock and roll, use a fender geddy lee w/ SD 1/4lb pups and an ampeg 410hlf
  3. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Can you handle lifting the 100 pounds of the Classic 400 every gig? Mine sounds great but it is one heavy mother.

Also, does the Classic 400 come with its footswitch? If not, Peavey no longer carries them and you will have to make one or have one made. Having the versatility of the footswitch really is what makes the Classic 400 at the top of its class.

Put in good tubes now, adjust the bias properly per Peavey's instructions, and the tubes should last you several years IMHO.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You need to take your cab and bass and try out the 400. That is the only way you will know if the MB or Peavey is the better amp for you!
  5. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    For me, C400 no contest, but I'm not you.

That amp is a commitment in more ways than one, but it uses commonly available tubes and schematics are readily available.

If it turns out not your cuppa tea, you shouldn't have a problem selling it and you can pick up more Markbasses whenever you want.
  6. B-string

Good point will33, you can get the Peavey repaired anywhere should it have problems. The MarkBass you'll most likely be buying a replacement while on the road.
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    FWIW, I sold my Bassma135 to fund tubing up my Classic400. I'm 41 and have no issue carrying around 100lbs. worth of amp that does what that thing does. Am also in the very early stages of putting together a bass woofer/guitar driver speaker system for it, but again, I'm not you.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

For me, Markbass, not contest. At three A.M. after 3 hours on stage I do not want to be hauling 100lb head around that I have to be careful with since it is loaded with tubes. I throw my SD800 in a backpack so I can carry my entire stage rig in one trip if I want, obviously that is not an option with an Ampeg 410 in the mix but you get the point. If I was gigging regularly I would think about gigging practicality, especially with a tour in the future. Are you really going to appreciate the tonal difference for all that work? I assure you that your audience won't. This is a personal choice though, my opinion is nothing more than that.

I would take a D.I. and not worry about either head failing, if they fail odds are you won't be able to get it repaired before your show or you leave to the next town anyways regardless of brand.
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    This can be the kicker. For some reason gear is always heavier at load-out than it was at load-in. For me, that few minutes of carrying is nothing compared to the experience of playing it. Somebody else may think the complete opposite and we'd both be right.

FWIW, the 400 is 24" wide before the handles are flipped out and you have your fists wrapped around those.......narrow doorways, stairs with turns in them, etc.

Still worth it to me.

You're young, time to enjoy a giant tube amp. Can use the pocket rockets when you're old. :)

Nothing quite like playing in front of a big strong tube amp and pile of speakers, especially for rock-n-roll. :)
  10. B-string

When I was MUCH younger and didn't care as much, I bounced two all tube SVT's across the country and back in the front of a 5X8 enclosed single axle trailer. Neither amp had a failure.
  11. brockkiemel

brockkiemel

Thanks guys... Ill email the guy and see if I can set up a time to check it out. I've always used solid state amps... Mainly gk. I'm interested in seeing what this thing sounds like....

I can always throw it under the seat in the van for safer travel.
  12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Your van must have really big seats. :)

In addition to listening to it, carry it to your van and back 3 times without putting it down. ;)

Then pick up your Markbass...and be careful not to throw it through the roof. :D
  13. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

And be sure to inquire about a footswitch!

I made my FS and have the schematic (that was my schematic I drew, on the old Classic400 website) and pics.
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    You are the keeper of the footswitch schematic....you are a fine human being, sir.
  15. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Pay attention to the orientation of the LED's!

Attached Files:

16. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

:eek:

That's a nice amp, sorry to hear it's gone :atoz: