1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Keeping bass in drop d

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xanderlane, Jan 20, 2013.

1. xanderlane

xanderlane

I like to keep my bass in drop D (DADG) because it gives me a larger scale and it's what I'm comfortable with. Am I learning bad habits this way? Will this ruin my bass or the strings? Will I have to get a larger E string?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

3. basssqq

basssqq

Yes and no. Drop D if you are experienced and understand the standard tuning.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Floyd is correct, correct and correct.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Good point.

7. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Have to get a larger E? No. Want to? Possibly, if you're not happy with the lower tension relative to the other strings.

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

not bad habits, just get use to it. then if you need to convert back for any reason just be a slight adjustment period.

dont know , when using drop D in a band just used 2 basses. one standard the stayed in D. and yah the setup on the bass that stayed in drop D was set up different. heavier strings, and the right neck adjustment and saddle height. blah blah

if you like the string tension and tone you get out of it now dont worry about it. if something in the back of your head bothers you then yah. try heavier strings and if changing that causes a little ajustment problem take it to someone or go threw the pain of learning to do it yourself.

it can be worth your time if you like drop tuning and plan on using it for awhile.