1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Keeping strings quiet

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MrFrancis, Nov 10, 2012.

1. MrFrancis

MrFrancis

Muting! I just can't seem to get it..I'm ok with the method of anchoring your thumb on the pickup and up the E, A string but the going down I can't seem to keep strings, mainly the D and G quiet..any techniques..vids or suggestions for me? I would also like to know about muting while slapping & popping I'm having trouble with that as well
  2. fearceol

fearceol

Check out the "Floating Thumb" technique.

You can also mute with the left hand.
  3. odarellmc

odarellmc

Thx for sharing ill put this to use..
  4. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

When you fret a note, back off on it before removing your finger from the string altogether. That'll decay the note much faster than letting it ring.
  5. carldogs

carldogs

For muting D & G I use a lot more of my left hand for that, even if I'm playing a "G" 3rd fret E string with my middle finger my index finger especially and the other two fingers are just resting on the unplayed strings. Try keeping your fingers as close to the fret board as you can when you practice so you can have some contact on the unplayed strings namely D & G.
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... exactly as I have evolved with the left hand as well ...