keeping varmints out of port holes?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lexington125, Feb 18, 2014.

1. lexington125

lexington125

no one would ever accuse me of being a neat freak; but i just picked up my first round port cabinet in 30 years (Aggie DB112nt) and the two rear ports give a clear view into the cab, the 12" driver and the yellow fluffy stuff they use for damping. The prior owner only had this cab a couple of months but there is already a collection of dust bunnies in the cab. what can be done to keep dirt and small creatures from taking up residence in this type of cab? It seems like more of a problem w/ round ports, as the TL606 type Mesa Boogie cabinets i owned had rectangular ports at the bottom of the cab and gravity helped keep them clean. Is there anything that could prevent crap from entering via the ports but not impact the airflow / performance of the ports? Or is the best idea to just stuff an old sweatshirt in the port when you are not playing? (pull it out prior to playing, stuff it back in after you are done)

any better suggestions?

2. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Open her up and put a bit of wire mesh over the end. Be sure to use a silicone or something to adhere it to the tube so it won't rattle against the plastic.

3. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Make pantyhose caps for the ports... Like a microphone pop shield ;)

4. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    ^^^ critters can chew through that... easily. Cabs get dusty. C'est la vie. A careful vac job on occasion might be in order, followed by light, chemical-free dusting.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I'd consider a more porous material like speaker mesh fabric. Yes, critters can chew thru, but unless there's food inside, why? I think it will do the job, if not maybe you've invented "a better mouse trap!":) Just remember your buddy fnord when you're a billionaire!

fnord!

7. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Ahh, hadn't thought of that...

8. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    See if you can find an expandable plumber's test plug that fits your round ports. Those will keep out any critter that lacks opposable thumbs.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Soft covers work great for me.

10. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Jar corks? Only about $3 a pop.

11. dincz

dincz

Keep the portholes closed whenever your ship is in dock :)

12. Max Bogosity

Max Bogosity Supporting Member

Those are the ones you have to worry about the most. My cabs are full of Legos.

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

I had a cat that liked to nap in my SWR Silverado (4x8) combo. She quit when I decided to play the amp while she was in there. I don't know whether she linked the noise or the impact on the wall as she rocketed out of the cab less. Never went back in there again, though!

Just a FYI, if I had known she was in there, I would have tried to block the port off. It surprised me almost as much as it did her!

Dan K.

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I've used very fine wire mesh to cap the bathroom exhaust vents (keeps the birds from nesting) but that won't solve the dust problem. What I would do is cut / bend / form the mesh to shape and then pull an old knee-high over the cap before insertion.

Riis

15. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    Stuffing a rag in works pretty good. I used to live in a house with mice and I tossed a few mothballs in each of my cabs in hopes of keeping them out. Would be kind of funny to fire up the amp and see a mouse come streaking out but more than likely it would just freeze or be killed by the sound pressure levels. I think. :)

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Literal LOL over here.

17. chadds

chadds

LOL!

The varmints in your case are the Depositors. :)