Kelly Rae Band at Disneyland 04/10/14

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Apr 11, 2014.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hello friends,

The Kelly Rae Band was hired to play a couple of private events at Disneyland's Big Thunder Ranch, a venue near Big Thunder Mountain. We were playing for a group called Social Media Moms and the event featured Disney's Magic of Healthy Living catering. We didn't get to try any of the food but I guess it looked OK.

Of course the gig starts with the drive to the venue. There were a lot of cars parked on the Orange "freeway".

[​IMG]

We get to enter "The Happiest Place On Earth" with the hired help.

[​IMG]

This is the building where you check in.

[​IMG]

Daniel and I arrived a little early so we didn't have to wait in line like the rest of the guys.

[​IMG]

The Mouse sent a shuttle van for us. We loaded our gear.

[​IMG]

This is Matt, our driver, goofing off with Art.

[​IMG]

We got kind of close to the venue. We had to carry our gear through this tunnel to performance area. It's a good thing we didn't have to bring amps.

[​IMG]

This was in the area near the tunnel. I don't know about you but if I was truly in Fantasyland I really wouldn't want to eat at a commissary.

[​IMG]

After making our way through the tunnel we found the venue still being prepared by an army of staff.

[​IMG]

This is Daniel, Kelly, and Art relaxing in the cast member lounge.

[​IMG]

This is the stage, fully backlined for us. Thank you Mickey! :D

[​IMG]

Art got a Twin Reverb and Daniel had a Nashville 400.

[​IMG]

Jeff got a Roland KC-550. Good stuff.

[​IMG]

I got an SWR Readhead, 350w. It sounded good and was good enough for a stage monitor.

[​IMG]

My old friend Rick was subbing in again for us. They had a nice Yamaha kit for him.

[​IMG]

These monitors sounded really nice.

[​IMG]

There were plenty of monitors and separate mixes for everyone. Cool.

[​IMG]

They had a nice flying array and side fills on the stage. It sounded big.

[​IMG]

We pose for a quick picture during sound check.

[​IMG]

The lighting array in the middle of the venue was HUGE! They could put on quite a hippity-hop show here. :p

[​IMG]

This is Sean, the FOH guy. He was good to work with and kept us happy.

[​IMG]

This is the bridge of Disney Starship Big Thunder Ranch.

[​IMG]

I saw this sign near the stage when we arrived and was a little worried. But our "performaces" were just great. Now I am a little worried about the guy who approved these signs. :smug:

[​IMG]

This is Jenny, one of the characters working the event today. We've worked with her before. She's cute and bubbly and the kids love her.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what's going on here but I thought I'd better take a picture for evidence.

[​IMG]

We are making our way to the stage, the doors are about to open. I take a few band pictures before we get started.

[​IMG]

Well, I obviously didn't take this one. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff lays into his keys.

[​IMG]

OK, we're about to start and, sure enough, there's another smoke machine behind me.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what this button does, but I wasn't going to push it!

[​IMG]

A couple more quick pictures just before they open the doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our M.C., Travis, brings us on with a flourish!

[​IMG]

And we are really having fun now!

[​IMG]

One of the best parts of this gig was that we could just unplug our guitars and walk off stage. The crew did a good job for us.

[​IMG]

The backline was rented from Center Staging in Burbank. We didn't have to touch any of it! :smug:

[​IMG]

As soon as we were off stage, the army of staff started getting the place ready for the function tomorrow.

[​IMG]

And of course, what's a visit to Disneyland without fireworks? Oooooh!

[​IMG]

Aaaahh!

[​IMG]

Half of the band will be back there tonight. Art, Kelly, and I are doing an acoustic trio. It should be fun.

OK guys, let see your gigs! Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  2. kcole4001

kcole4001

Great stuff!
    Looks like Art is right at home.;)

I'd love to test drive a Super Redhead. It's pretty much my ideal combo.
    I love my 4X10 cabinet, but if I had to pick a combo that would be it.
  3. StayLow

StayLow

How could you NOT push that button, at least at the end? It might set off some cool pyro!!

Love gigs like these, only thing missing was the dudes with headsets calling you sir and carrying your gear.

Congrats on what looks like a good gig and a good time had by all.
  4. newmusicmichael

newmusicmichael

Ha ha, I've been reading about the social media moms in disney on my twitter timeline.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

BassCliff:

Again, thank YOU for your indulgence.

It's always cool to have the curtain pulled back and see stuff most people don't, especially at the Magic Kingdom.
    The band looks to be having a lot of fun and camaraderie too. Sooo important. Mickey provides the backline - priceless...
  7. Not yet

Not yet

Great recap and what a Pro act... Think lot of us jealous
  8. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Yes, Art is a character. ;)

It was punchy and clear, nice tone, not a ton of low end, but it's good for a stage monitor or small, quiet gig. I'd use it on any gig that had full sound. I liked it.

BassCliff
  10. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Awesome pics.

You guys look like the happiest band on earth (man, you guys are always smiling!) at the happiest place on earth!
  11. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Looks like fun! I feel somewhat of a kinship because I've been playing "Shrek:The Musical" (a Disney production) for a local Community College here as a ringer in the pit orchestra (actually we're all ringers, it's an AFM contract gig). So it's a Disney kind of weekend for me as well.
  12. chuck3

chuck3

nice thread. Enjoyed looking at all the gear.
  13. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Cool story. Two things: d & b is the new gold standard for stage sound. Period. (.)
    The other thing: where's the MILFs at shows thread? Hm?
  14. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Well, you really don't want to do anything they don't tell you to do. The Mouse is very picky about what goes on. In fact, I had to wear a hat tonight because the guy who booked us says that all country acts need to wear a hat. I don't do hats, but in this case I had to make an exception. I'll have pictures later. Bleh.

There was plenty of help but we still had to carry most of our own gear. At least we didn't have to move amps or PA. It was a good gig and a good time.

BassCliff
  15. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

This group was news to me. It seems Disney is all over it. I guess I'd better do some research and get with the program. I don't have Twitter. I'm such a luddite. ;)

BassCliff
  16. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I'm surprised no one told me to put my camera away. They usually don't want any pictures taken "backstage" because it could break the magic. I have been told in the past not to take pictures in the cast areas. Everyone was really nice, let me take pictures, and even used my camera to take pictures of us. It was a good couple of gigs this week. More pictures of tonight's gig to follow.

BassCliff
  17. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Thank you! I'm just in the right place at the right time. We've been doing this long enough that we can mostly act like pros even if we don't play like pros sometimes. ;)

We've learned to fake it pretty good. :D

BassCliff
  18. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

We do enjoy working with each other and are good friends. It really helps when you like what you're doing AND like the people you're doing it with.

BassCliff
  19. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Very cool! I love playing in the pits, most recently a high school production of "Spamalot". It was hilarious to hear all the students and their fake British accents. Break a leg!

BassCliff
  20. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Thank you very much! My pleasure.

BassCliff
  21. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I'll have to do a little more research into d&b audiotech. They were really good sounding monitors, like QSC good.

I can't help you with MILFs. But we did have one lovely character stop by to say "Hi". You saw Jenny's picture, right? She's nice.

BassCliff