Kelly Rae Band at The Ranch 03/29/14

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Mar 30, 2014.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hello fellow bassists!

The Kelly Rae Band had another terrific weekend at The Ranch.

[​IMG]

I don't think I've ever taken a picture of the front door of the place. The Ranch Restaurant and Saloon is located on the ground floor of the Extron corporate headquarters. The owner of Extron is a big country music fan so he built his own place so that he could enjoy it.

[​IMG]

The saloon and restaurant are next door to each other but are separate. The stage door load-in ramp is to the right of the front doors. Here are a few load-in shots.

[​IMG]

Mario gets his sample pad hooked up. He uses a few sound effects and tracks on a few songs.

[​IMG]

Art brought his little beast. It doesn't matter what size amp he uses, it's always LOUD.

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like after the sound man gets it caged up.

[​IMG]

Daniel works hard setting up two amps, effects, playing at least three different instruments, and singing.

[​IMG]

It looks like Jeff has got his keyboards properly programmed.

[​IMG]

Our sound man extraordinaire, Mark, gets Mario's cocktail kit mic'd up for our acoustic set.

[​IMG]

I was rather minimalistic this weekend and brought only two basses.

[​IMG]

I thought this was kind of random. This door is next to the rear entrance by the green room. It leads to the corporate lobby. Is this a dare? :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

Once we're all loaded in and sound-checked, it's time for supper. The food at The Ranch is nothing but the best. I had the gourmet fish tacos and chopped salad. Daniel had the steakburger, medium. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After supper the owner stopped by for a picture with the band in the green room. Andrew is a good sport and usually sings the first song of the night. We have fun.

[​IMG]

We're about to take the stage. The DJ has got the crowd all warmed up for us. They're finishing up the last line dance.

[​IMG]

Here's the view from my microphone.

[​IMG]

And another view across the acoustic kit.

[​IMG]

This is my corner of the drum riser where I keep my emergency supplies, set list, batteries, water, picks, spare cable, etc.

[​IMG]

I have to watch out for that light canon. If I'm not careful it will blast a yellow ray right in my face. :eek:

Here are some individual shots before we get started.

Kelly:

[​IMG]

Art:

[​IMG]

Mario:

[​IMG]

Daniel:

[​IMG]

Jeff:

[​IMG]

The bass player:

[​IMG]

The crowd was amazing all weekend. We had lots of birthdays, bachlorette parties, even a wedding proposal right in the middle of the dance floor. Fun stuff!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one of the bachelorettes and her posse.

[​IMG]

And one of the birthday girls, Frankie, in the yellow blouse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is our friend Meagan, on the left, with her friend.

[​IMG]

A couple more friends.

[​IMG]

More band.

[​IMG]

An artsy shot taken by Jeff.

[​IMG]

Jeff and Mario goofing off.

[​IMG]

All good weekends must come to an end. Here's Mark striking the stage as we load out.

[​IMG]

This is the monitor mixing board just off of stage right, a Yamaha M7CL.

[​IMG]

Behind the monitor mixer is where the dilithium crystals, flux capacitors, warp drives, photon torpedoes, teleporters, trans-dimensional phase arrays, and sonic multiplexers are stored. ;)

[​IMG]

Art and I say our goodbyes in the parking lot. This is a pretty cushy gig for me. I don't even have to bring a guitar stand, just my bass and a cable. Everything else is in the backline.

[​IMG]

Next month we'll be at Disneyland for a couple of hoity-toidy private parties. Then we're back at The Ranch a couple of weekends in May along with playing the grand opening of the Anaheim Packing House. You are invited to check our schedule. Perhaps we'll be playing a summer concert near you, if you live in the Orange County area. :cool:

If you are ever in Southern California on a weekend, please stop by to see this fantastic place. Let me know and I'll try to put you on the guest list.

I hope your gigs went well this weekend. All the best to you and yours!

EDIT: I managed to take a little video with my point-n-shoot. I'll post a link after I've uploaded it. It's ugly but hopefully you'll see a little of the fun we have there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  2. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

Awesome looking place and Kelly is a cutie.
    I dig the Astro van. I built them at the Baltimore assembly plant for 11 years until the plant closed in 2005.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi Mr. RaginRog,

Yes, I think we've talked about this before. My Astro van has been a real workhorse. It's a 2001 and just turned 101,000 miles, still going strong. Regular maintenance is the key. I need to be a little more regular. :p

Yes, our Kelly is a sweetheart. All in all she's a fine band leader and business person. She takes good care of us.

The Ranch is an awesome place. And I don't use that word very often. ;)

BassCliff
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

The video is uploaded and is now "processing" on Youtube. If it doesn't work just wait a few minutes.

http://youtu.be/cqIbL1DpOfE

BassCliff
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Always a pleasure to read these posts, Basscliff - and you are a fellow pick-user too!
  7. calfroper

calfroper

Great to see these pictures, descriptions and video! All good! Thank You!
  8. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

I put off checking this thread fearing it was just an ogle-fest at Kelly Rae, but this was brilliant. I love checking out other people's set-up choices and gear load-outs.

Cheers for this mate.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Great pics as always.

Just out of curiosity, what is a typical start and end time for the band at that type of gig? How many sets do you guys play?
  10. dalkowski

dalkowski

Great, great post! I gotta get me country gig...
  11. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I hope you enjoy my little gig reports. I'd love to see gig reports from others all around the world. I think it's fun to share our experiences.

I use a pick only on a few songs where necessary, for the sound or effect, but mostly I just pluck around with my fingers. ;)

BassCliff
  12. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi Mr. calfroper,

Thanks! :D

Hey! Just to give you a head's-up... We are scheduled to be at Gilley's in Las Vegas on Sept. 5-6. I hope you have a chance to come out and say "Hi". It would be great to see you.

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff
  13. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Thank you very much. :)

This gig calls for an 8:30 downbeat. Fridays we arrive about 4pm for load-in, sound check, and supper. Saturdays we have supper around 6:30 or 7pm before the gig. We play four 45 minute sets with a half hour break between sets. We are done at 1:00am.

This is actually the most strenuous gig we do. Most of our corporate and private engagements are only two or three sets.

Yes, it's a cushy job, but somebody has to do it. ;)

BassCliff
  14. BassCliff

BassCliff

Thank you Mr. Treadstone71,

Kelly is worth an ogle or two. But I like her husband so I try not to overdo it. ;)

She is a good friend, a terrific singer and bandmate.

Next time we play there I will take a picture of the stage door and ramp where we actually load it. It's a really nice set-up, not your typical honky tonk.

Cheers to you and yours!

BassCliff
  15. ERIC31

ERIC31

Great write up Cliff! I really enjoyed reading this. Do country gigs always have so many hot ladies? :D:)
  16. kcole4001

kcole4001

Kelly looks simply stunning!

_____________________________________________________________________________

How do you like the Ampeg rig?
    It looks pretty capable, I'm curious about the tone compared to your usual rigs.
    I don't get to see much Ampeg stuff locally.
  17. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi Mr. ERIC31,

I'm glad you enjoyed my little gig report. I'd like to see yours too. :)

In a word, YES! I've played in all kinds of bands for the last 40 years and the country music fans are always the best looking crowds and the most friendly people. I highly recommend finding yourself a good country band. :bassist:

BassCliff
  18. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

What a set up, seems like that owner put together a state of the art facility, I could oogle the gear, boards, racks, etc,
    My Friday night gig left vomit on the floor and someone punched in the face before the music even started, the light from the leftover Xmas tree was a decent light show at least, I am subb 'd, awsome posts
  19. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi Mr. boomboom4200,

Hey! I've played there before! It's been a while but I've enjoyed a few fights, spills, chills, thrills, and other excitement from "colorful" places like that. If you ask most Southern California musicians about 'Loretta's Lounge' they will have some stories to tell. It's not there any more but we've had our fun there. (My band used to park across the street at the adult bookstore because we didn't want anyone to know we were working at Loretta's.) :p

BassCliff
  20. Justice

Justice

Disclosures:
    The bass rescuer...
    Slightly off tolpic, but 100000 miles is low milage for an Astro Van :D My 2004 Astro Cargo has 220000 miles. Just had some work done on it so it should be good for many many more.
  21. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Yes, true! I've been driving the van a lot more lately because my motorcycle is down. Usually I only drive it to the gig but I've been commuting with it for the last 6 months.

My Chevy pickup, which had the same engine and tranny, had 375,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. It had 225,000 miles on the first engine before an unnoticed oil leak killed it. Then I installed a rebuilt engine and drove it another 150,000 miles before I traded it in.

BassCliff