1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Kelly Rae Band at The Ranch 030814

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Mar 10, 2014.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hello fellow bassists,

It's been a busy weekend full of music. Not only did we have another epic weekend at my favorite nightclub but I've also started a pit orchestra gig that will run for two weeks. I'll start another thread for that gig report. ;)

We learned another half dozen new tunes for our gigs at The Ranch this month. We've got two weekends there in March. We like to keep the repertoire fresh.

A couple of the new tunes, "Follow Your Arrow" (Kasey Musgraves) and "Sober" (Little Big Town) fit in really well with our acoustic interlude that we do in the middle of our first set. Here you see Mario's "cocktail" kit that he plays out front with us.

[​IMG]

Here is my arsenal for the weekend.

[​IMG]

Here we are setting up before sound check. Art was plugging in his pedal board and managed to stick his head up just in time to geek the camera.

[​IMG]

Mario is ready to go. He is saying, "Ay! Are you takin' my picture?"

[​IMG]

That extra snare you see with the cymbal on top is a cool little combo. When you whack the cymbal with a stick it sounds a lot like a group of people clapping their hands. It's really a nice effect.

Our regular sound guy, Mark (on the left), is breaking in a new guy, Brian, to fill in while he's on vacation. They seem to be leaning to the right. I didn't know Mark was a Republican. ;)

[​IMG]

Here is Jeff pointing at Kelly saying, "Go ahead! Get a picture of her without makeup!" Kelly told me, "Don't you dare post this on Facebook". I didn't. ;)

[​IMG]

I'm all tuned up and ready to start. The DJ has got the crowd warmed up for us.

[​IMG]

Daniel is ready to saw on his fiddle.

[​IMG]

Art is ready to do some strumming.

[​IMG]

The owner, Andrew Edwards, comes out to give us a rousing welcome. He was feeling a little under the weather so he didn't sing with the band like he usually does. Darn. :p

[​IMG]

Here's one action shot that a friend took of us.

[​IMG]

We had a special guest this weekend. This is Stan Freese, the entertainment director/head booking agent at Disneyland. Stan and Kelly have known each other for a long time. He really dressed for the occasion tonight. Stan is actually a world-renowned tuba player and a great harp player. He's sat in with us a few times.

[​IMG]

Kelly and I paused for a photo on stage.

[​IMG]

This is the next night, just before we got started. Art is not wearing my shirt, but he does have one just like it. We try not to wear the same thing on the same night. :rollno:

[​IMG]

This is Daniel getting into character just before he plays "Devil Went Down To Georgia".

[​IMG]

Art and his sparkly ASAT.

[​IMG]

How about a few more action shots of the room?

[​IMG]

There were several birthdays in the house Saturday night.

[​IMG]

The dance floor was lively all night long.

[​IMG]

Daniel is a multi-talented utility player. He's started playing his Tele on those songs that benefit from two guitars. He now brings a couple of amps, a guitar, two fiddles, an acoustic mandolin, an electric mandolin, and a whistle to the gig. (He uses the whistle when I sing "Jump Right In" by Zac Brown Band.) Mario and Daniel are relaxing in the green room between sets.

[​IMG]

The ladies on the dance floor are too nice to this old bass player. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gotta tell you about one nit-picky little thing I don't like about this gig. The smoke machine is behind my amp. It seems every time I reach down to pick up a bass, this thing blasts me right in the face. :eek:

[​IMG]

I know this machine is on an automatic timer. It doesn't know when I turn around. But I could swear that it's possessed. :eyebrow:

Well, we had a great weekend. The new songs went really well and a couple of perspective clients asked us to play at their functions. I like playing when you get more work while playing at work. :D

And we are just about out....

[​IMG]

We'll be back again the last weekend of the month, after my two week pit orchestra gig. It's a busy month for me, feast or famine. :p

Break a leg! Let's see some of your gigs. Please share.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

2. calfroper

calfroper

Great pictures and descriptions! Thank you! Looks like it was a great weekend!
    John

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Thanks Mr. calfroper!

Just to let you know, Kelly is trying to work out a deal with Shoney's in Las Vegas, could be as early as the end of April. Maybe you can come out and say "Hi"? I'll let you know.

BassCliff

4. kcole4001

kcole4001

No action pics of the RD?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ironbar

Ironbar

I will never understand how the hell you play that bass so high up on your chest! That would absolutely KILL my wrist!

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Actually, I think I do but they're on my computer at home. I'll check.

I use that bass on the three Journey songs that we do, sort of a classic rock vibe/tone. The sound guy and the drummer love that bass. Of course, that bass is older than the drummer! :p

That's left over from my jazz band days. When it's high like that my left wrist is in a natural position, unlike the guys who wear them really low. My right wrist has never complained. ;)

BassCliff

8. kcole4001

kcole4001

I know it's a given, but Kelly looks awesome as always!

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Here is me and my RD with our friend Ashley on the dance floor in front of us. ;)

[​IMG]

BassCliff

10. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

This is such a great place to play. Here's a few more pics from last weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our sound guy sat in with us for a few...

[​IMG]

Me on my AGB (Fender Kingman). I think we're doing "Seven Bridges Road" during our acoustic interlude in the first set.

[​IMG]

BassCliff

11. kcole4001

kcole4001

Cool!
    Looks like you're having more fun than three bands put together!
    And we finally see a pic of Art without the huge grin. :)

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi Mr. kcole4001,

Thanks, yes, it's a fun band. And you're right. It is very unusual to see Art without a big goofy grin on his face. I guess he was concentrating on his chart.

We'll be back at The Ranch after I finish my run with "Spamalot".

BassCliff