Kelly Rae Band at The Ranch 12/27-28/13

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Dec 28, 2013.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

The Kelly Rae Band at The Ranch

Hi,

We're in the middle of our run at our favorite nightclub. It was a lot more crowded on Friday night than I though it would be so close after Christmas. I actually think they kind of like us there. We play mostly the "modern" country and all the lovely ladies love to line dance. And the guys love to ask them to two-step and swing dance. It's a fun place.

Here are a few pictures of our load-in and sound check, etc. We actually rehearsed three new songs during our sound check. We did well the first time through. Everyone pretty much did their homework.

The sound guy, Mark, and Mario get the drums sorted out.

[​IMG]

Daniel is very organized when it comes to connecting all if his gear, two amps, a Pod, a couple of fiddles and a couple of mandolins.

[​IMG]

Here is Art praying to the guitar gods.

[​IMG]

This is Kelly "before", as in during our sound check.

[​IMG]

I brought all of my basses tonight, just because I could. But I played only three of them this evening.

[​IMG]

Everyone was commenting about my 1978 Gibson RD Artist. I just got it back in playing condition and it sounds great, very clean, lots of high end without being clacky or zingy, but lots of punch. The sound guy loved it.

This is the sound guy, Mark, at the console. He calls it "the bridge". He's a Star Trek fan. :smug:

[​IMG]

And we're about to get started. This is the owner, Andrew. He always sings a song with the band to help us get started. We finally found the right key for him and he actually sounded pretty good tonight. :)

[​IMG]

This is the manager, Steve. He usually goes around all night taking pictures of the band and the patrons. But I caught him this time.

[​IMG]

Here's Kelly, "after", with Art and Daniel just about to start a set.

[​IMG]

Here are some lovely ladies having their fun. I love to watch people having fun.

[​IMG]

And this is our friend, Mary, who is one of the best two-steppers in the place.

[​IMG]

We'll have even more fun tomorrow night. I'll post up a few more pictures. If you're in the area I hope you get a chance to stop by.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius

So, you brought five basses but only played three - which ones did you use?

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I did not play the Guild Pilot 5-string or the Fender Jazz Special (MIJ). I bought the Jazz used in the mid-80s and the Guild new in '91. We play a few songs that the F-Jazz would sound good with, one of which we played last night when Kelly called an audible (not on the set list), but I didn't have time to make the swap. The 5-string is basically a backup for my Carvin.

I know some of you use multiple basses for alternate tunings but I use different basses mainly for the different tone for certain songs. I think I will start experimenting with different tunings, D-G-C-F, etc. I think it would be fun.

Everybody break a leg! ;)

BassCliff

4. Kitsapbass

Not for me - I'm a "if I bring it, I'll use it guy". But that's best left to another thread - I really like what you did with this one, IMO!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kitsapbass

Is that your SVT rig? How do you like it, as compared to the ones in your profile?

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi Mr. Kitsapbass,

Yeah, I usually don't haul around unnecessary gear but I felt like showing off a little. I usually bring only 2 or 3 basses to the gig depending on the type of gig.

That SVT rig is part of the back line at the club. It sounds great but I don't really get to work it hard because of the fabulous sound system. We like to keep the stage volume down. As much as I like the big, warm, Ampeg tube amps, I like my GK rig (800RB, Neo 410) a little better. My solid state rigs are a litttle more versitile tone-wise whereas the SVT can only do that great, warm, tube sound. I don't use effects pedals.

BassCliff

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Just a few more pictures from Saturday night.

Here's Jeff, getting his lyric sheets together before he starts banging on the keyboards.

[​IMG]

Here I am wearing my Christmas present, a new Scully shirt.

[​IMG]

Daniel was taking aim with his electric "mando-caster".

[​IMG]

Mario was putting on some smooth moves in the fog.

[​IMG]

Here we are enjoying some snacks during a break. Jeff, Art, and Daniel.

[​IMG]

The dance floor was packed most of the night. We do a couple of "freestyle" dances at the end of our sets so those that don't know how to two-step or line dance can get on the floor.

[​IMG]

This is Jessica and Ashley. Ashley always line dances in front of me and lets me have a two-step with her now and then. She's a nice girl who likes dancing with us "older" gentlemen because most of the young bucks don't know how to dance properly. ;)

[​IMG]

Kelly's cousin, Autumn (on the right) brought some friends, Karen and Brittany, and they let me have a picture with them. Karen also is a pretty good two-stepper. A good time was had by all.

[​IMG]

And, of course, at the end of the night we get to earn our pay. Even though I didn't bring an amp, or mic, or stand, I still had a lot of gear to haul out.

[​IMG]

I brought five basses and played four of them. The vintage country got the Jazz Special. The classic rock got the Gibson RD Artist. We did a couple of acoustic numbers. The "modern" country was done on the Carvin LB76, which got new strings this weekend.

This is always a really fun gig. I'll enjoy a couple of nights off. Then we'll be at Cars Land for New Year's Eve. It's always a mess getting in and out of Disney but it should be a fun night.

Break a leg everyone!

BassCliff

9. calfroper

calfroper

Thanks for the pictures and your up date! A good band = good crowd! Can't wait to catch you guys somewhere but, it is a 2.5 hr. drive for us.
    Thanks again,
    John