Kemper Profiling pre-amp it's for Bass too

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by seamonkey, Jan 1, 2012.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Looks cool. Would have to see it in action before I believed in it, plus it's still at the point where it mimics the recorded sound of an amp rather than the actual sound. It's got to get past that point to get taken seriously by those who would rather use their favorite tube amp.

3. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Couldn't agree more! There's an important distinction there.

I'm definitely interested in trying the Kemper out, though. I use modelling pretty often & I'm always looking for better and/or different sounds!

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    From what I read, it's supposed to catch the sagging, dynamic changes, etc....whether it does, who knows?

I guess you could download presets but what I got out of it is, you hook it up to your tube amps you already own, let it copy them, then take this unit instead of rare, expensive or multiple rigs on the road. Might work considering how much processing is done your sound after it hits the mic.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Carrots and maybe cabbage?

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

You can also profile SS amps
    No limits

8. scotch

Disclosures:
    I think where JimmyM & I may be seeing a possible limitation is evidenced in the sub-forum we are in: "Amps". To me, this device(and almost all like it) are far more valuable "Recording" tools. I haven't yet used modeling that sounds and feels right through a cabinet (or even monitor system) yet. I'm definitely willing to give the Kemper a go, though! It's definitely a fresher approach + allows you to model one of your own real amps!

Still, I don't see potential for the type of interactivity you get from an amp warming up, getting hot, on odd voltage, etc... but I certainly cant judge the Kemper before I try it!

9. lo-freq

lo-freq

It's not modeling and it is supposed to reproduce the feel and touch sensitivity of an all tube amp (don't understand the underlying technology or how well it does that, but that's what they claim anyway).

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you build its profile by micing it, then I don't get how it could reproduce the feel and touch sensitivity.

11. lo-freq

lo-freq

Maybe it picks it up when you play with various dynamics/attack levels (as I said I don't understand how it could work).

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    By simultaneously measuring and comparing the input and output signals. That's just a guess. Whether it's feasible or not depends on the exact nature of those signals.

13. NOVAX

NOVAX

A tube amp is a real live breathing thing-at least mine is. The complex even and odd harmonic content/mixture and organic, cascading interplay between pre and power stages cant be reduced to an algorithm. IMO. Its all as involved as DNA.

14. scotch

Disclosures:
    Profiling/Modeling, Tomato/Tomahto. I think it's the same thing, but Kemper's got a new label for it! The other 'modelers' make the same claims regarding touch & sensitivity. At least the Kemper lets you model/profile your own amps! Now that's handy! Now, make it flap my pantlegs at the gig & I'm sold! (Wait, I already have it - my amp!) - This is kinda why I get far more utility out of this technology in the studio rather than live.

15. scotch

Disclosures:
    From the website:
    "Test signals will be sent from the Kemper Profiler Amplifier into your tube amp and recorded by the microphone in front of your cabinet."

16. silky smoove

silky smoove

Sounds like the same, or similar technology used to create impulse responses.

17. agreatheight

agreatheight

I think the Kemper isn't designed for the average Joe - it's for someone who has a large and / or valuable amp collection who wants to tour that stuff without bringing it on the road. Or someone who wants their touring sound to closely match their studio sound, without buying all the amps. If it does half the job it says, it will it would be valuable to a lot of guitarists I'd think. Bassists, probably not so much.

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Their FAQ says they ruled out convolution and developed their own technology.

Profiler | Kemper Profiling Amplifier | FAQ

They seem to be taking enough measurements to do the job.

19. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Looks cool, but if I want to screw around with all the parameters and sampling I'll just play keyboard. Sometimes "close enough" really is "close enough".

20. newbold

newbold

Model any amp you want. Awesome.

Now I bet there's be someone that finds a sweet little 15 watt Solid State Peavey practice amplifier that snarls just a bit in that lovely little juicy jazz chorus way and takes that to the stage through a 412.

I would love to have one of those to take into a music store so I could sample the amps at home at my leisure.

21. lo-freq

lo-freq

From the way the connections are explained, I think you're right.