1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ken Smith #41! $3200.00 TB special

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by nukes_da_bass, Dec 10, 2012.

1. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Hurry hurry hurry! This bass has been played played played and played some more.

4 strings, rosewood encased Bill Lawrence blade hum bucking pickups, HAZ passive vol, tone, and blend controls... soft rock American maple body, mahogany core, Ebony fingerboard.

A face that has half worn out from use. This was 80% the original owners doing, I suspect he was a New York City club and session man could no longer stand the weight of the bass and went and moved onto an active circuit bass guitar.

If this bass was in pristine condition, I've seen a few of these on eBay for around $5000.

Take off $1000 for the condition of the finish, remove $400 for the fact that I customized the instrument by adding a third strap lock for my harness system, and take another $400 off for a talkbass only price of $3200!

Trades up for consideration are any Ken Smith five string, think Pedulla, etc... 5 strings only will be considered. I would consider the right Ken Smith five string bolt on,, but I would prefer the neck thru.

image-767400592.jpg

Attached Files:

2. nukes_da_bass

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Bump. Another pic...
    This serial number 41 was build during the "Vinnie Fodera was my employee" era at Ken Smith Basses LTD...

image-4073291668.jpg
  3. nukes_da_bass

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

4. nukes_da_bass

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Zero interest so far. Might need to wave it around the KSB bulletin board to all the hard line KS purists who might want a piece of history.

Let's recap- open to high end trades, 5 string only, neck through preferred. I'd consider the right Ken Smith bolt on plus cash.

I have small hands, so a 19MM 5 string really isn't playable for me- 18MM to 17MM only.

Own a Fodera Brooklyn era smith tomorow! Be the first in your neighborhood to have one! Amaze your drummer and piss off your guitarist!

image-905063032.jpg
  5. nukes_da_bass

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Upper horn bump

image-3721539911.jpg
  6. nukes_da_bass

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

This is the ken smith version of a Pre CBS bass. Serial number 41, built when Vinnie Fodera was on the Smith assembly line... Often referred to as "Fodera/Smiths" or "Brooklyn era Smiths".

Here's a chance to get the best of both worlds- an early Smith that Vinnie Fodera helped to build.

Trades are encouraged- no 4 strings, period. No more Jazz basses. 5 strings 18MM or less, 5 strings 17.5 or smaller. Fretless and fretted welcome.
    GAS list;
    Ken Smith 5
    Fodera 5
    Roscoe 5
    Pre Gibson Tobias 5
    MTD Woodstock 5
    Any amazing 5 string considered.
  7. nukes_da_bass

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

8. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Disclosures:
    USAF Band of Flight, Dayton, Ohio
    Oh, I'm interested... I happen to own KS #48 and #31, and am very interested in comparing yours and mine. But I can't justify the purchase right now.

Beautiful instrument! Are those the original pickups?
  9. nukes_da_bass

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Yes Leo, these are the original pickups Ken commissioned from Bill Lawrence for most of the first 100 4 strings from KSD Brooklyn. Thanks for the free bump!
  10. nukes_da_bass

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

11. nukes_da_bass

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Trade pending!
  12. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Very cool bass!! Could you post a picture of the headstock, front and back? SO big. SO killer.