Ken Smith Compressors

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basss, Apr 1, 2009.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

WOW These are some fat sounding strings! Just put a set on my P bass. Low mids galore with a bit less zing than regular rounds - but still basically a round wound sound. Anyone else like these?
  2. chunkstyle

chunkstyle

the only strings i like more than Compressors are Ken Smith Slick Rounds.
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

I actually bought the compressors and the slicks together to try both. I didn't give the slicks much of a chance but IMO if you want something closer to a flatwound sound but with a bit more bite the slicks are the ticket. What impresses me about the compressors is the low mid focus - the thump - they have while still sounding like round wounds.
  4. jeremyr

jeremyr

are the strings you have strainless or nickel?
  5. chunkstyle

chunkstyle

both compressors and slick rounds are a nickel-iron alloy...
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Yup these are my favorite strings on my P-Bass

Theya re also great on frettless if you want the roundwound sound without the fingerboard wear
  7. Groover

Groover

Old thread I suppose, but after reading it, I decided to order some for my Maple P-bass... Thought I'd try something a little different for a change. The ones I ordered are the "CRM 44-62-82-105"

The listing I bought them from says "38" winding length to silk", which concerns me for the E... I don't have a bass in front of me to measure, but that seams like it will be too far out for.... these are for 34" scale, correct?

Any other comments on these strings would be great! I guess I'll find out soon once I get them, but make me feel good about my purchase in the meantime.. :p

Thanks!
  8. bassman blue

bassman blue Supporting Member

Amazing strings. I have them on my 5'er. They are very similar, imho, to GHS Pressurewounds...
  9. basss

basss Supporting Member

I had Compressors on for a while and just put on Pressurewounds. They are very similar - I think the PW's are just a hair brighter than I rememeber the new Compressors being - that may just be new string syndrome though.
  10. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

I have these on my Fender P5, strung through the body, and the silk comes no where near my fingerboard, so you should be fine.

I absolutely LOVE these strings on my bass, they sound like nice, fat, warm rounds, but can still bite when slapped or dug into. They are really smooth to the touch too, and give my fingers no problems at all after a 4-hour gig.
  11. Groover

Groover

Cool, all sounds great then! Can't wait to try them out!
  12. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

My absolute favorites. In my opinion a much better sounding and feeling string than GHS PressureWounds.
  13. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Do they make these strings for a 35" 6 string? I'm having problems understanding Ken Smith's specs on their website. They don't say what string would be for a 35".
  14. fokof

fokof Gold Supporting Member

Question on those;
    Is the B string "tapered" at the bridge or full sized ?
  15. CapnSev

You can get it either way, the one I use is tapered.
  16. Groover

Groover

I had a chance to play these last night... Very nice, love the sound and feel. I'll be using these for a while. I'm using the 44-62-82-105. Which set are you guys liking? I was town between the 44-62-82-105 and the 44-62-80-102... I think I made the right choice.
  17. CapnSev

I'm using the .40-.58-.80-.102-.125tw.

They hit the spot for me tension-wise, but I think the .105 E would be nice, because that seems to be looser than the other string to me for some reason. I have the E's saddle just *slightly* higher than I would with other strings and it works just fine.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Well, Ken Smith strings are made by GHS...so I'd say they're very VERY similar :)
  19. blowabs

blowabs

I have both KS Cmps and GHS PW's...the PW's are brighter, but in a good way... I like em better...got three sets of PW's ..but dat's jus' me, see...... :)
  20. CapnSev

The GHS Pressurewounds don't come in the same gauges though, and I don't believe they have a tapered B.