1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ken Smith Slick Round Dead B string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I love these strings, but the last couple sets I have received had very dead sounding B strings. meaning the B sounded more like a broken in flat wound string, very different from the rest of the set.
    I went to D'Addario Halfs, and they are decent, but I like the Slicks a little more...when the set is happening. anyone else?
    Maybe I just had really bad luck?
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Smith will probably replace them, did you contact them?

Other than that, you can order singles from www.bassstringsonline.com
  3. Bassman8416

Jason from Bass Strings Online helped me out in the past, I just ordered another set, so hopefully all is good with this one.
  4. Tim Bishop

Tim Bishop Supporting Member

Make sure Ken is aware of this. He will take care of you.
  5. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

There's a lot of discussion about the slick rounds in the rukind.org community and more dead B strings than not from what I've read. It seems as though getting a set with a good B comes down to luck. It was about half good, half dead for me while I was using them. If you contact Smith they will make it right, but for me it wasn't worth the hassle every time I came up on a string change. They are really great sounding strings though. From what I can tell, GHS Brite Flats are essentially the same and the few sets I tried had no problems.
  6. Bassman8416

I just got a set for my Q6 and the b turned out fine!!!!