1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Ken Smith Slick Round Dead B string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I love these strings, but the last couple sets I have received had very dead sounding B strings. meaning the B sounded more like a broken in flat wound string, very different from the rest of the set.
    I went to D'Addario Halfs, and they are decent, but I like the Slicks a little more...when the set is happening. anyone else?
    Maybe I just had really bad luck?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Smith will probably replace them, did you contact them?

Other than that, you can order singles from www.bassstringsonline.com

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Jason from Bass Strings Online helped me out in the past, I just ordered another set, so hopefully all is good with this one.

5. Tim Bishop

Tim Bishop Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2006
    USA
    Make sure Ken is aware of this. He will take care of you.

6. There's a lot of discussion about the slick rounds in the rukind.org community and more dead B strings than not from what I've read. It seems as though getting a set with a good B comes down to luck. It was about half good, half dead for me while I was using them. If you contact Smith they will make it right, but for me it wasn't worth the hassle every time I came up on a string change. They are really great sounding strings though. From what I can tell, GHS Brite Flats are essentially the same and the few sets I tried had no problems.

7. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    I just got a set for my Q6 and the b turned out fine!!!!

8. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    I just put a set on my 4 string. The Low E is totally dead... I emailed 'em.

I love the way the other 3 strings sound. I think I may have found "my string"... if this is not common...

9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Marilynsghost.com Supporting Member

I tried them 3 out of 3 sets dead B. And they went flat like dead tone wise in short order so the B sounded like it belonged after a week. But they weren't good dead just lifeless.... YMMV

10. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    I heard back from Ken Smith already.

and his reply:

Bummer.

11. loveandbass

loveandbass Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2004
    i thought you had to buy the B string separately anyway

LOL @ I dont know how you put it on or know anything about your bass....what a tool

Bassman8416 likes this.
  12. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    In my case it's a 4 string and the low E is dead. To be fair, I did mention maybe I put the string on wrong--hoping that I had done something and the low string was supposed to sound like the other three... But apparently not.

13. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Heard from Ken that he is looking into this. Good customer service.

trothwell likes this.