1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ken Smith Slick Rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Oct 29, 2009.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Recently got a set of these strings. I am fully in the half-round market because theoretically they should be exactly what I'm looking for. I like really slick, smooth strings too for playability so when I heard of these I was like wow, these sound perfect.

they are SOOO sticky though. like unbelievably so. I saw a comment on here about them from a while back but I've also heard people complain that Chromes are sticky, which I do not find them to be. But these really are. My question is does this go away with playtime or are these simply goin to slow me down? Otherwise, I like the tone on them. They are fat, deep and have punch and some mellow-bright zing on the high end. Sound pretty good on my P-bass, I just want them to be...slick.

2. Corporate Boy

Corporate Boy

I have been using the same set for almost 2 years now. I remember noticing the stickyness when I first got them, but I love the tone on them that i stuck with it. Now I don't notice it at all. Lately I have been playing a different bass with Roundwounds after 2 years of pretty much only playing the Slickwounds. Now when I pick up the slickwound bass I am blown away by how clumsy the strings feel, but then there is the tone. You will get use to whatever you are playing. The slickwounds still blow me away even after 2 years of playing on them. Once you get use to them, you will be fine.

3. Adam Harzuf

Adam Harzuf

How is the tone compared to roundwounds?

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Literally like the highs are chopped off, but not really that extreem.

The sticky feel described above goes away as they break in...

Visual representation of the strings:

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

I just tried a set for the first time and I'm happy with them. It didn't take long for the stickiness to go away...maybe and hour or two of practice time. I'm using a .106 set and they are fairly stiff. I'd recommend a lower gauge if you don't like a bit of tension.

The feel like flats, but don't thump like them. I've been a nickel user and these have SS steel sound quality. They're not bright and zingy like SS rounds can be. They seem to have the low mid thing going on that make them sound aggressive. They're worth a try for $23.

7. TSanders

TSanders

One of the best sets of strings Ive tried.

They have a good lower mid thump like a flat, but still have a lot of harmonic content. Really warm and punchy. Pretty decent highs, but smooth.

Love them on a good P-Bass.

8. Adam Harzuf

Adam Harzuf

I tried D'addario Half Rounds and found the tone to be really lifeless (very poor harmonic content), and the strings were not even sounding.
    Did anyone have the same experience with D'addario and can confirm that the Smiths are noticeably better?