1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ken Smith String Users

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chop, Aug 11, 2000.

1. Chop

Chop

Any body use Ken Smith Strings?
    If so, for what style of music and on what kind of bass?

I see that Musician's Friend among many other places are selling them as low as $13/set for 4 string!

Thanks for the input.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    I use Burner Nickel roundwounds on my fretless and some of my active basses for old school funk, light Jazz (oxymoron), R&B. I like 'em.
  3. frost13

frost13

I just bought some Ken Smith Rockmasters for my 6 string. Now to see how they work out.
  4. Saint

Saint

I've been using the Rockmaster Mediums (roundwounds) on my Rickenbacker for years and love them. I actually tried using Rotosounds just because that's what Chris Squire and Geddy Lee always used on their Ric's --but I ended up going right back to my Smiths.

I also use Smith tapercores on my Ken Smith bass. They have a different sound than the Rockmasters, but they are also more than twice the price.
  5. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

I just got some rocker for my jazz. They sounded great as soon as I put them on. No twang or nothing.sweet
  6. winston

winston Supporting Member

I noticed the cheap MF price-but will they fit a 35" scale bass?
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

I use Rock Master Medium's on my 6 string F bass (with a non-taper .125 low B and a .030 high C). They're great strings, very responsive and they last for a long time.
  8. Rakshasa

Rakshasa

I use 5 string rockmasters, on two of my basses, my ibanez soundgear, and my warwick dolphin, I play metal, and Michael-Manring-ish Victor wooten-ish Wacko Jaco stuff. sounds great with both.
  9. Asaf

Asaf

i'm using them on my jazz bass for funk-fusion, rock, jazz, latin - and they sound really great and last for ever.(the burners nickel type)
    i also tried them on my pedulla fretless 5 and they we're ok (not as smooth as the labella).
  10. armybass

armybass Supporting Member

I used them for years before swhitching to DR's(The Army buys strings for me now, ie your tax dollars, thanks)and I have no problem using them when I can not find the DR's. Good zippy string that lasts a long time. And CHEAP too.
  11. godoze

godoze

I use the Taper Core sets on all of my basses.
  12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

I've always used Smiths.
    I think I have Medium Rock Masters.

armybass, how many sets per year do they (we) buy for you?
  13. NJL

NJL

these are some of the most inexpensive strings in san antonio - i use them on my warwick corv pro 6.

they last for such a long time and the tone on my warwick is to die for. i have never been so happy with strings in my life.

i'm curious to see how they will sound on my jazz.
  14. onebassplayer

onebassplayer

I swear by 'em. I use about 4 different models of the KS strings depending on the bass I use, and the tone I want.
  15. jointus

jointus

I use the taper core strings on my piezo equipped fretless bass. And they are pretty cheap in San Antonio.
  16. NJL

NJL

yup.

according to the music store that i buy them from, they are wound by GHS, do you guys think this is true?
  17. NJL

NJL

this is what freaks me out - i HATE GHS strings with a passion, but these Ken Smith strings are so good for what i do
  18. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Man, I just put Ken Smith Slicks on my Ibanez Musician (ash body, neck-through, fretted ebony fingerboard), and it has made me love that bass again! It's a beautiful and widely-acclaimed bass (among those who own them), yet I have felt that for the last few months that it is too sterile and harsh-sounding for my tastes, with far too much zing, crunch, growl, and string noise. I finally got some strings that I actually chose to buy for a reason other than convenience, and after trying medium-gauge Fender flatwounds and being disappointed by the enormous tension, stainless wrappings, and in my opinion not a lot of variation in sound (though they did get a good upright sound on that bass), and so I've had some unknown roundwounds on it for the last few months, but now with these Slicks it sounds how I want my bass to sound! Deep, with more snap as you travel up to the higher strings, and a miniscule amount of finger noise!

My only mild complaint is that the E string sounds much much deeper than the A string, but we'll see how that works out as the strings break in. At thirteen dollars a set, I bought a set of Compressors along with the Slicks, both M-L gauge, and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun deciding which to go with in the long run. The purple silk wrapping is awesome, too!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm a Ken Smith string convert, as I still want to try out many other strings before settling on one particular type, but I do think that I'll be playing either compression-wound or half-round strings for a long time to come, and these Ken Smiths are quite inexpensive and seem to play very well.

-Stephen
  19. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

I'd like to know how those slick rounds turn out for you.

I use Fender flats on my Pbass, and like them. However, people say those slicks are kinds like flats, but with a bit more growl to them.

My local store is a Ken Smith dealer, and they have the slick rounds in stock. I do like the flatwound sound, however, that sound with a bit more bite to it sounds very interesting.

Not only that, but my repair guy highly recommends Ken Smith strings for bass, so I'd like to try them sometime. :hyper:
  20. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

I'm a true KS String convert over from Rotosounds. Don't get me wrong, I love the Rotosound, well... sound! But, IMHO, Smiths just blow them away as far as sound, feel and they're not as hard on your frets.