1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Kenny Gradney: Little Feat

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Jan 20, 2014.

1. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Another band I've started getting into lately. I don't know why I haven't really taken notice of Little Feat before...some great bass playing by Kenny and Roy Estrada before him.

Kenny Gradney with Little Feat video

2. B0_mon

B0_mon

Great 'fro!

One of my band's favorite jams is "Spanish Moon". Can play it for an hour. We go in and out of a few breakdowns that we've come up with.

Cheers!

3. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Check out a very young Kenny in the Festival Express
    DVD.

4. StephenR

StephenR

Doesn't get much better than Lowell George era Little Feat. Kenny is an excellent bass player and Richie Hayward was a monster... one of my all time favorite drummers. Little Feat's music was just filled with weird and interesting rhythmic quirks. The most impressive thing was how smoothly the music flowed despite the rhythmic twists and turns.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

glad I got to see them in the 70's when Lowell was still with us. Just an amazing band live

7. frisbieinstein

frisbieinstein

Waiting for Columbus is great. Wonderful band.

I saw them when they were just starting out and was one of the two people in the audience.

8. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I saw them a lot with Lowell in the 70's and a few times since, one of the best bands ever. IMHO. I first saw Gradney with Delaney and Bonnie, he's was always great!

9. jbednarski

jbednarski Supporting Member

I saw and met the band in the 70s. Had a great hang and they put on an awesome show. Kenny was playing a sunburst P and he put out some amazing-ly funky lines.

10. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

My vote for Band of The 70s. There's a live in the studio recording from 1970(?) out on the interwebs that's worth tracking down.

Don't get me started on the album covers by Neon Park.

11. StephenR

StephenR

You are probably referring to the 1974 Ultrasonic Studios broadcast (the Trademark of Quality vinyl boot of this featured Neon Park artwork on the cover). The Ultrasonic Broadcast from 73 is also excellent. Both are up on the live music archive and can be streamed or downloaded. There are a lot of early Little Feat shows on the archive.

First time I saw the band was in 1973 opening for Bonnie Raitt at Max's Kansas City in NYC. Tiny place. Most of the guys in Little Feat sat in for Bonnie's set... this was also my first time seeing her. Bonnie was a huge Little Feat fan. I was backstage at one of her shows in the late 70s and she was playing "air guitar" along with a Little Feat recording that was playing over the PA.

12. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Yes, that sounds like the one.

I hear a lot of Lowell in Bonnie's slide playing.

13. hdfixer

hdfixer Supporting Member

Live In Holland 1976 CD/DVD set was just released today. Kenny is absolutely fierce through the whole thing. Really playing physically. On some tunes shot from side stage you can see the whole stage move as he riffs. Awesome.

Playing a maple board Telecaster with a pair of Humbuckers? Kind of a "super Tractor". Really nice tone too.

Incredible footage of Lowell and the whole band. Makes you feel like you are right on stage with them - it's a very strange place they are playing - maybe the stands to a racetrack, but it allowed for a large film crew in the front of the stage with great access. Worth buying!

14. 10cc

10cc

+all on Columbus.

I love "All that you dream" and the bass playing on Willin is terrific and don't forget about Bill Payne!

15. hotbass57

hotbass57

They are the band that when they come on, you reach for the volume knob and take it to 11. Love that band, all great players.

16. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Great band, great bassist. Always seemed to enjoy himself onstage, and why not, playing
    with Little Feat. I recall Kenny having some kind of elastic strap that allowed him to drop the bass
    a foot or more and snap it back. :)

17. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

18. snarebear

snarebear

His bass rig is for sale on feebay