1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Kent Armstrong J Bass Lipstick Pickups.....Which is treble/bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

From WD the description for the direct fit Jazz bass lipstick pickups states that one is bass and one is treble. Does anyone know which one is which? Im thinking it would be a cool idea to have a lipstick on the Jag since it would be a direct fit. But its a rear pickup like a P/J and I dont want to do it if the rear is the treble pup.

Anyone?

http://www.wdmusic.com/kent_armstrong_bass_pickups.html

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

I have a set and they're identical except for size and reversed polarities so they act like a humbucker when run together. The terms bass and treble refer only to their position not any difference in sound. You want the "treble" one for the rear route.

3. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Hey Jeff thanks! I was concerned that treble meant it would be a different tone. ;)

I might as well ask since you own these pickups. How do you like them and could you possibly give some description of what the rear pickup sounds like? I am hoping I can get enough volume out of a single rear lipstick and also get a cool vintage tone. I have never heard one in a solid body. Hoping it will be a good/unique investment.

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

I suck at describing pickups but I do really like these. They look like a Dano type lipstick tube but sound NOTHING like them. At 10.3K they're a reasonably hot pickup and have lots of volume and presence. I'm not a full on connoisseur of different Jazz pickups but they're pretty traditional sounding to my ear...maybe a touch scooped in the mid?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Wow. 10k. Weren't the factory Danos 4k something?

Thanks for your description. I know its hard to do. :D As long as its louder then the stocker in the Jag already then its an upgrade. I think anything would be. Plus the lipstick tube looks cool. Thanks again.