1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

key? Why dont you quit- Eddie Harris

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Lupob6, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Lupob6

Lupob6

Aug 18, 2013
    Central NJ
  2. plainman

plainman

Apr 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    My guess would be Gb with a 5-4-1-5 progression. I can't say that I'm highly confident about that being correct, though.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Lupob6

Lupob6

Aug 18, 2013
    Central NJ
    thanks, going to give it a go when I get home

5. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I hear it as a I-bVII-IV in Db.

6. plainman

plainman

Apr 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I wondered about the 1-b7-4 as well, and I don't think I can pick up the difference. I think the basic chords are still the same - Db - B - Gb.

7. camthebassman

camthebassman Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Wow! What a tune. Either key is pretty friendly on tenor sax. Bflat or Eflat. Great bass line. I'll put this on my "must learn" list for tenor sax and bass. I wish I could play both at the same time!

8. camthebassman

camthebassman Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I picked up some of this tune on tenor last night. Feels right in Eflat on the horn, which is C#/Db on the bass. I bought the album version on Itunes and plucked around on the bass. It seems like the recorded version is about a half step flat which makes it difficult (for me at least) to play along with. I need to get one of those slow down/pitch adjustment apps.

9. Lupob6

Lupob6

Aug 18, 2013
    Central NJ
    It has been tough for me to play along to, also, if anyone has any suggestions

I tried to move up the fretboard, c# @ 11th fret, and It sounds better but still not right.

I'm new to bass so if my terminology is off, I apoligize

10. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Great tune! I have to say, it sure sounds like it was recorded in C to me, and then sped up so it's a bit sharp.

The second note in the main line sometimes sounds like the open A to me, and when it moves to the IV chord it sometimes sounds like the open D. And the chromatic climb from the IV-chord back to the I-chord sounds like open A, Bb, B, back to C.