Kids react to Walkman

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Apr 14, 2014.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

2. Richland123

Richland123

Sad, but true.

Now, going back to my days, it was either a transistor radio or as portable record player.

3. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

I'm glad tape cassettes are in the past. Remember how they degraded over time, could be ruined by magnets, melted if you left them on the dashboard, and could be recorded over by other people if they put pieces of tape on the top corners? And if none of those things happened (except for eventual degradation over time), you still had to rewind or flip the tape over to continue listening.

I will be sad to see CDs go, though. Will everything be in crappy quality MP3 format in the future? :(

4. bassinplace

bassinplace

I for one, also like CD's and continue to buy them. mp3's are okay with me, as I don't have any high end playback equipment, but I do prefer the sound quality and physical back up of a hard disc.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Milk

Milk

If your ear can tell the difference between 192kps MP3 or a CD, you have superhuman ears. And this **** goes to 320kps too. At which point any claims of hearing a difference i would call BS on.

Anyway some people still claim vinyl gives you best sound (just look at the posts following this one). No, it's the sound you're USED to maybe. Factually, it's not a better sound. It's a sentimental thing.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I still own over 700 cassettes all in excellent condition. Some very rare jazz albums that I need to convert to digital. I tried selling to a local record store many years ago but he refused me! So I'm stuck with them until I finish converting them. Owned several top of the line walkmans back then. Some had bass boost switches and I think one had an automatic flip over feature. I still have a Sony Walkman as well as a Sony dual cassette deck hooked up to my home stereo.

8. bassinplace

bassinplace

It's a subjective preference, I would say. I do hear a sound difference between the three. As to which one's "better" depends on the listener.

9. Bloodhammer

The lesser quality isn't really my issue so much as I don't trust files to not get lost or corrupted somehow. If your whole collection is on a hard drive and something happens to it, you have no hard copies. That's what I'm worried about. (I'm aware that cd files are also digital - they're just more permanent)

I've just been told a lot that MP3s are lesser quality because of the file compression and that studios are apparently engineering albums to fit the format better. Whether that's true or not didn't factor into my acquired predjudice against MP3 that I absorbed from cynical musicians. ;)

10. Relayer71

Relayer71

No, it can be in a high quality lossless, albeit non-physical, format. This will become even more feasible as ISPs deliver higher bandwidth than currently available. We're already there storage-wise when you can pick up a 3 TB hard drive for around $100.

But I imagine we will have physical media for a while.

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

8 track tapes - do not miss them one bit. Hated them in the '70's

12. Bloodhammer

Yeah, but what happens when the internet connection fails? Every time it goes out at my house I thank my own foresight for owning CDs, DVDs, and Bluray discs that I can enjoy without depending on an internet connection.

13. bassinplace

bassinplace

You mean to tell me you miss the abstract expressionism of listening to tracks 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 simultaneously? ;)

14. bassinplace

bassinplace

Or your computer kicks the bucket and all your digital files get lost. Nightmare. I learned to have all my music backed up on both hard drive and CD in case of just such a thing.

15. David Jayne

David Jayne

Unless you are streaming stuff this isn't an issue.

Backing up files is computer 101.

16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    128Kps absolutely discernible. 192Kps less so, but still there.

17. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Or you've trained yourself to pick out particular artifacts of the mp3 encoding algorithm.

18. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Certainly a possible explanation.

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

You don't say. :meh: Glad to know I'm doing something right! :p

20. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

I prefer the superhuman description ;)

21. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

I'll be honest, I don't think CDs will go. I have plenty of CD-r's, and while I like listening to an album one at a time, sometimes I like to shove a bunch on a CD (I drive an Aztek, so I have at least a mp3 CD player) and let it load for a while and keep going. That method so far is just bearable enough to deal with that I switch between the two options, but when I get a car with a better stereo, you can bet I'll convert my entire library to cd-r mp3 folders.

So long as music these days is "battery operated" (iPod, iPhone, whatever), I'm not making a change.