Kill switch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by volerium, Feb 19, 2014.

1. volerium

volerium Supporting Member

Anyone have any examples of uses for something like this? Im running a lot of effects and like playing with pedals and sounds. Saw these on loopmaster.com but not real clear on how it can be utilized. YouTube just returned a ton of Kill switch engage videos ha.

Thanks in advance
  2. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I use my tuner on the pedal board as a kill switch...Korg Pitchblack.
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1, Yep, the Korg PB tuner works.
  4. volerium

Is that the only use for one? To go silent? I thought maybe if you were effect heavy you could go from effects to clean with only one switch...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

That would be loop-master's "clean/dirty effects switcher." Basically 2 loops and switch back and forth with only one switch.

Killswitch is just a mute button. Stutterbomb would be more fun in creating a tremelo effect (momentary mute).

Just read their descriptions, it's fairly informative. ;)
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1

It "kills" the signal when you hit the switch. It may be a momentary type of switch too that doesn't actually click. So when you step on it the signal goes out and when you take your foot off the signal returns.
  8. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

The killswitch uses a regular switch (clicks). Stutterbomb uses the momentary type of switch (doesn't click). I have been eyeing that stutterbomb for a long while. Just can't justify it being on my board..haha :(
  9. EricssonB

EricssonB

I may be missing the point, but they're very simple and very helpful. I've put together a few of these with 1/4" jacks, pots and/or switches in small enclosures, or in the instrument itself.

If you want to build one: Beavis Audio: True Bypass Loopers, Switchers, Muters, and Volume Controls

[​IMG]
    This is an attenuator with a switch. LED optional. Can be used as a mute.
  10. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

I have a killswitch on my bass, it's just a push-pull pot that when pulled out mutes.
    There's really nothing special about a kill switch.
  11. volerium

Maybe it's not a kill switch I'm looking for. I have a turbo tuner I can hit and it mutes everything but it's first in my chain... the problem I have is I have all these pedals and one of them is the boss dd20 delay. Set the feedback up on full and you can make some wild sounds that repeat endlessly or it can just get out of control too. What I'd like to be able to do is switch in and out of that delay mess back to other pedals and/or clean. The clean/dirty effects switcher someone recommended might do the trick... I don't know. When I hit the tuner and have pedals on, no sound. But if I have a sound in the delay already and it's repeating away and I hit the tuner, it just keeps on going unaffected.
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You could simply move your tuner to the end of the chain. When you mute it will mute everything.

Otherwise, it sounds like you may like a true bypass looper.
  13. volerium

14. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    For the Killswitch tone... Sansamp into an Ampeg.

For an actual kill switch... use ur tuner.
  15. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

That one looks like your answer, and if I remember correctly with my looper is as long as your leave the delay on and control it with the looper the delay keeps on repeating what you last sent it. :smug: