SOLD Killer FrankenFender 70s parts bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by dukeplaysbass, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

This is my favorite parts axe….

[​IMG]

Neck is a super rare maple cap black block Jazz Bass neck that dates to the early 70s. Body is a 70s Fender Precision that was refinished a couple of times, until I stripped off the color and found the natural finish underneath. Pickguard and bridge are unknown origin aftermarket (stuff I had lying around the barn). Pickup is a Nordstrand, I believe.

The GOOD:
    Super light (8.25 lbs). Neck is really, really rare and has lots of birdseye in it. Tuners are proper early 70s nickel. Nordstrand sound fantastic.

The BAD:
    Body was abused, but the cracks were repaired and have held up fine. There's a few non-original parts (pg, pickup, pots, knobs, jack, bridge, neckplate). Neck had some other tuners on it, but the proper-era Fender replacements covered the holes.

The UGLY:
    I took this to Eric Chaz on Friday (1/24) in the hopes of having him set it up and make it a killer player. Eric is one of the best repair guys in Los Angeles. He says it needs the fingerboard planed (which will require removal of the frets, a refret, and then refinishing the fingerboard). His charge for this is $310.

The whole restoration story can be seen at my blog: www.DukeVsBass.com Look for the link on the right hand side that says "70s Amber Surprise."

I'm going to offer this for sale as-is for $800 shipped in the Lower 48. The neck, in good playing order, is worth close to $1000 on its own. This is such a great axe, I really don't want to part it. I'll consider trades for other axes, but could use the cash and will prefer that sort of deal. Will ship in a gig bag.

Please note that I won't accept a crazy lowball offer on this so please restrain yourself. If you can give this the love it needs, it has the potential to be a lifer.

Restoration pix below (note that the tuners on the neck-only pix have been replaced with proper 70s nickel Fenders).[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

3. dukeplaysbass

4. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeplaysbass

7. Exit1242

Exit1242

If I had cash or if I thought you were interested in my trade, I would have this . It's a beautiful looking bass with the bass combo p body and j neck. :)

8. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Awesome guy, and an incredibly cool bass!

9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
  10. dukeplaysbass

I'm going to close this thread. I had Chaz to a fret level and set up and that cured the buzzing and made it playable. I'm going to wait a bit before putting it on the market again. Thanks for all the interest....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.