1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

Killer FrankenFender 70s parts bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by dukeplaysbass, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

This is my favorite parts axe….

[​IMG]

Neck is a super rare maple cap black block Jazz Bass neck that dates to the early 70s. Body is a 70s Fender Precision that was refinished a couple of times, until I stripped off the color and found the natural finish underneath. Pickguard and bridge are unknown origin aftermarket (stuff I had lying around the barn). Pickup is a Nordstrand, I believe.

The GOOD:
    Super light (8.25 lbs). Neck is really, really rare and has lots of birdseye in it. Tuners are proper early 70s nickel. Nordstrand sound fantastic.

The BAD:
    Body was abused, but the cracks were repaired and have held up fine. There's a few non-original parts (pg, pickup, pots, knobs, jack, bridge, neckplate). Neck had some other tuners on it, but the proper-era Fender replacements covered the holes.

The UGLY:
    I took this to Eric Chaz on Friday (1/24) in the hopes of having him set it up and make it a killer player. Eric is one of the best repair guys in Los Angeles. He says it needs the fingerboard planed (which will require removal of the frets, a refret, and then refinishing the fingerboard). His charge for this is $310.

The whole restoration story can be seen at my blog: www.DukeVsBass.com Look for the link on the right hand side that says "70s Amber Surprise."

I'm going to offer this for sale as-is for $800 shipped in the Lower 48. The neck, in good playing order, is worth close to $1000 on its own. This is such a great axe, I really don't want to part it. I'll consider trades for other axes, but could use the cash and will prefer that sort of deal. Will ship in a gig bag.

Please note that I won't accept a crazy lowball offer on this so please restrain yourself. If you can give this the love it needs, it has the potential to be a lifer.

Restoration pix below (note that the tuners on the neck-only pix have been replaced with proper 70s nickel Fenders).[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

3. dukeplaysbass

4. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeplaysbass

Still available!
  7. Exit1242

Exit1242

If I had cash or if I thought you were interested in my trade, I would have this . It's a beautiful looking bass with the bass combo p body and j neck. :)
  8. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Awesome guy, and an incredibly cool bass!
  9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That is a cool bass!
  10. dukeplaysbass

I'm going to close this thread. I had Chaz to a fret level and set up and that cured the buzzing and made it playable. I'm going to wait a bit before putting it on the market again. Thanks for all the interest....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.