1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Killer Slap Bass Exercises - with Scott Devine

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by devine, Oct 19, 2012.

1. devine

devine Supporting Member

Hey guys,

It was inevitable lol...

After putting nearly a 100 video lessons on Youtube (something like 20hrs worth of tutorials!), none of which covered slap bass at all... I've finally given in to the huge amount emails I've gotten over the last two years asking for some slap action! ;)

In this lesson I talk about and demonstrate correct right and left hand technique, and show you a killer groove at the same time.

Now, hit this link to check it out!... Brand New Video Lesson.

Over and out,

Scott.
  2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Good stuff! Thanks....:)
  3. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

scott. i really liked when you made that backing track available for download...i practice with it all the time! moar plz :)
  4. Hroda

Hroda

Very sweet, I think i like it in the "slap void"
  5. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Hey Scott, I've been learning a lot of your youtube videos lately. Thanks for making them, i really appreciate it.
  6. bassguy1960

bassguy1960

I'm a 52 year old bass player, i started playing back in 1970... I'm just getting back into electric bass after taking the last couple decades off to play upright bass in a bluegrass band (I still have my upright and did a lot of mods to it).

I'm just getting my chops back and i wish I could remember 10% of the licks I used to know. I Played a lot of jazz and rock back in the day and just wanted to drop you a line to say how much i appreciate not only your videos but what a great musician you are.

Keep 'em coming!

Don
  7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

8. nickbass79

nickbass79

Yeah, Scott, good lesson. Cheers
  9. MO Bassman

MO Bassman

Can anyone reply regarding amp settings to obtain a good tone using slap technique as heard in the video? I am using PASSIVE electronics and Beringer Amp. I have experimented without much success. I can plug into a Line 6 POD to increase my effects. I primarily play using the following...
    Low 100%
    Mid 30%
    High 70%
  10. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    Scott you are a really cool dude. I hope to meet you one day. I like your style and approach and your life story. I was a kid from the ghettos of West Philadelphia and made something of myself despite the odds. Most of friends from my old neighborhood are convicted felons.
  11. EricF

EricF Habitual User Gold Supporting Member

As someone who is nearly inept at playing in this style, this lesson has been great for getting me started off in the right direction. Thanks!!!
  12. Rick Blanc

Rick Blanc Supporting Member

Me to. Thanks Scott
  13. devine

devine Supporting Member

Great to hear you enjoyed it guys! Another one is on the way... soon!!!

easy,

Scott
  14. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Okay, I'm dying to know Scott what's with the glove?

Awesome video's by the way, as always, they've been an incredible help when I get the chance to even use videos.

You have an excellent way about your delivery and you're style of teaching is a pleasant experience. As a beginner, I can't thank you enough for all the time you've put into making these available.
    Keep em coming, and sorry if the glove is from an injury or something, I really mean no offense, just curious, and feel free to not answer.
  15. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Very nice! Great delivery too!
  16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Great lesson, some good ideas and I liked the fact that you get outside of that dreaded Emin pentatonic slap void.

also, I watched few of your videos and I wanted to say, you have a great technic. Your fretting hand thumb don,t wrap around the neck for mutting, fretting or just because ... I see so many people do that it irk me a lot.
  17. the yeti

the yeti

nothing to add really, just wanted to say thanks. so, thanks!
  18. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Hey Scott. I gotta ask. Why the glove?
  19. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

20. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Thanks for the link, very much appreciated.

And sorry there's just something "stalker-ish" about running a Google check on another mans gloves. :D

Through reading that link, I've just realized I not only appreciate this guy for his instructional stuff, but I respect the piss out if his determination & dedication. I too had a recent issue with my fretting hand and thankfully it was simply a repetitive stress injury, & was corrected with a few days rest.
    Now it's only a very slim chance it'll start up again, but could still manifest in the form of CTS.
    Which would really suck, it's like losing all feeling in the first 3 digits, plus the arm and gets worse as I play.
    It's interesting because my temp fix was to use tight stocking I had to snag from my daughters ballet bag, worn on my arm. But it worked and worked well, at least enough to play a while.

Good luck to you Scott, I truly hope you're able to keep it in check, and continue being able to play.