1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

KILLER soloing lesson - with Scott Devine

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by devine, Dec 7, 2012.

1. devine

devine Supporting Member

Hey guys, just recorded a brand new video lesson for you!

New video lesson >>> Grab your bass now!

I really struggled with what to call this lesson... yes, it will improve you're soloing, but it will also enhance your fretboard knowledge, phrasing and a load of other stuff too.

This is part 1 of a two part lesson. I'll be posting the part 2 next week so watch out for it!

Over and out,

Scott.

New video lesson >>> Grab your bass now!
  2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

This was one of those lessons that seemed to cover stuff I already knew well, and perhaps am even pretty good at -- but that then taught me something important by exposing a weakness I didn't realize I had.

I was already hip to the three different fingering patterns for the major scale, use them all comfortably (though I certainly need to work more on the one I find more difficult than the others), and understand why it/they are important. Check. I already spend a lot of my practice time noodling around with scales in different positions, experimenting with little melodies and groove snippets. Check. So when I got to the part about connecting the different fingerings -- say, going up one way and down another -- I figured it would be a piece of cake. I already know them all, so how hard could this be?

Well, I found out on my very first attempt. I started with my middle finger on C at the 3rd fret of the A string, went up the scale to the octave on the 5th fret of the G string, and.... discovered that I was stuck. I realized immediately what the problem was: I knew all three fingerings well going up, but only knew one of them well going down. And in this case, the only way I knew back down was the one I had just gone up -- thus my embarrassing state of stuckageness. And then it occurred to me that what I've always done when I wanted to go down a major scale has been to shift in such a way as to get my pinky on the root, so I could go down the one way I was comfortable with.

I guess I know what I'll be working on this week....

Thanks again, Scott!
  3. DSims63

DSims63

Great stuff! Can't wait to try it,
  4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Cool! Thanks for sharing, Scott!
    Best Regards!
  5. devine

devine Supporting Member

Ah thanks for checking the lesson out guys! Great to hear you're enjoying them!

Love your stuff too Roy!

Have an AWESOME Christmas!... in the shed ;)

Scott ;)