1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Killer Subdivision Exercise - with Scott Devine

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by devine, Nov 27, 2012.

1. devine

devine Supporting Member

Dudes and dudettes!...

>>> New Bass Lesson

Here's an awesome subdivision exercise for you. It was shown to me by an ex student of Charlie Haden's. When I started using this exercise within my practice time I found that it really helped me start to develop my internal pulse and time feel.

This is part 1... part 2 will be coming soon... so keep a look out for it! ;)

Check it out>>> HERE

Have a wicked day in the shed!

Scott ;)
  2. INTP

INTP

Thanks again for another useful video.

I use this basic approach but I extend it on both ends. In your video, you do 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 5:1, 6:1. I also do 8:1 on the fast end and 1:2 (half notes) on the slow end. And just for fun, I do some basic poly-rhythms such as 3:2 (triples over two beats).

I also use this with other exercises, so I'm getting subdivision practice and reinforcing something else at the same time. I add variety of subdividing to another useful (but perhaps tedious) exercise like scales, arpeggios, pentatonic scalse, modes, etc. So if you started with a major scale, you might do it first with second finger on the root (like in your video). Then do it again with first finger on the root, and then again with 4th finger on the root. Then switch to a natural minor scale, etc.

I find that combining this timing exercise with another exercise has the benefit of keeping my mind engaged continuously, rather than zoning out. I try to always stay mindful, even when doing exercises that I clearly need to work on, but can become mind-numbingly dull if done the same way over and over and over and over...

Thanks again.
  3. devine

devine Supporting Member

Yeah man, I apply this stuff to loads of other exercises too... I'll be going through some of them in the second tutorial.

I love using these exercises to walk over a jazz blues sequence... great fun in 5 and 7! ;)

Coming soon man! Thanks for watching!

Ez,

Scott ;)
  4. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

Great lesson and exercise. I just saw another video where the instructor was emphesizing the improtance of timing and groove. An acquaintance at the open mics where I play's father was a professional musician. Whenever someone asked him for advice for children who wanted to learn music, no matter what instrument, his adice was, "Give him/her six months of drum lessons."

Seems like timing is pretty important.
  5. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

You've probably answered this a thousand times Scott but why do you wear a glove on your fretting hand?
  6. Chief2112

Chief2112

Go to his website, scottsbasslessons.com and check out the Misc./The Gloves link. :)
  7. Rick Blanc

Rick Blanc Supporting Member

As usual, great lesson and thank you. I know you wear a glove on your left hand because of Focal Dystonia but with the lighting you used for this video your left hand doesn't look like you're wearing a glove, it looks like your left hand is B&W. Like some video special effect. Looks kinda cool. Anyway, thanks again for your video lesson.
  8. mambo4

mambo4

Scott, A good lesson again!

However, filling every beat with subdivisions of 5 and beyond probably not the most practical aspect to understanding subdivisions.
    While I do think subdividing the beat as your exercise teaches is certainly an important fundamental skill (at least up to triplets),
    for really developing a sense of "groove" it's important o acknowledge the spaces as well.
    To that end, I place more importance on understanding each individual subdivision's place within the measure.
    I usually think of subdivisions as isolated 8th and 16th notes against a steady back beat.

I've always been a fan of Anthony Wellington's approach to teaching subdivisions.
    I bet you could craft an excellent lesson around this idea, which I'd love to see.
  9. narud

narud Supporting Member

favorite part of video. as everyone flails on 16th's
    anthony-let me just hear the black guy
  10. devine

devine Supporting Member

Hey Mambo4... thanks for watching man!

Yeah, Anthony's lesson is killer! I've actually 'almost' finished an entire course (over 6 hours of video!) discussing and expanding on this concept in great length... it'll be coming out early 2013!

The subdivision exercises I gave in the tutorial from this post is almost a downbeat awareness exercise so it's aiming at a different area than Anthony's is. So I wouldn't say either is better - just aiming at different things. I use the exercise I give to get people to break out of the subdivisions they've being almost pre-programmed to play... almost trying to get them to expand their internal time almost.

Playing the 5's is a killer example of this... If you take a listen to Hadrien Feraud you'll hear that he phrases in 5 a lot... not groupings of 5 like Jaco often did - I'm talking about actually playing 5 notes per quarter note. It's tough to spot sometimes - when they're up to speed they almost sound like lazy triplets. Great sound!

Thanks for watching man!

Scott ;)