1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Killer Youtube video comparing flats!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Dec 30, 2012.

1. armybass

armybass Keith Roscoe Basses and Aguilar Amplification Gold Supporting Member

Got any questions about TI, LaBella, Roto77's, D'Addarios or Fender flats..... this dude just did all of the work for you.... killer video!

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

This was a nice comparison. It would be a great starting point for anyone looking in to flats for the first time, or looking for a different set of flats. Thanks for the post.

3. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

That's a nice video. I haven't played Roto flats, but might have to give them a try after that. I have TI's on a couple of basses and have been happy with them, but have only compared them to D'addario chromes.

4. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

That's a great vid! Very useful.

It would be amazing if he could re-do it exactly the same way after the strings have all been played in, as some stay brighter than others and the tonality shifts more than others.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. backup

backup

they are all fresh out of the package and his tone makes it difficult to tell the difference.

7. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I think they all sound good. I see why people like the Thomastik strings. I like the Thomastik and LaBella tones best.

8. charliebrown

charliebrown

My brother gave me a set of 77s for Christmas...so far, I like them A LOT. More tension than the old light gauge roundwounds I was playing, but after I set it up I like the tone, the feel...fingers or pick. I'm pleasantly surprised.:)

9. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Great Video...makes me think of all the time I wasted reading about what flats to get here on TB!...

However...I was surprised that I liked the Pluck and Pick tones of the LaBellas and the ROTOS...

I would have never considered them based on opinions on TB...great VID!

10. armybass

armybass Keith Roscoe Basses and Aguilar Amplification Gold Supporting Member

The video confirmed what I already felt about TI's and LaBellas in a positive way and just the opposite for the D'Adarios and Fenders. For me the really cool part was hearing the Roto's. I had never heard them before although I do like and use Swingbass 66's. I loved the 77's. They sounded great, Makes me want a 70's P Bass to slap them on!

11. Troph

Troph

Aww, no love for GHS Precision Flats. :)

Seriously though, I'm sure this took a lot of time to do. Frankly, I'm surprised at how similar they sound even when the video is played loud through good headphones...

12. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I could hear a bigger difference between the strings when the player was using a pick. Loved the Rotos in this demo.
    Great Video!

13. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

TI's and LaBella's are tops for me though I have Rotos on my Beatle Bass but I do have LaBella's on my Club Bass and Fenders on one of my customs....don't like the Fenders on this video as much as I like them on my bass though but I might give in and get TI's next and I did have GHS's on my Warwick and loved them on that bass but not on the other basses I tried them on.....would have liked to hear GHS and Pyramids in that video too.

14. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

The Rotos impressed me too!

15. Ron G

Ron G

check this one out:

16. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

im really surprised by those rotos, now i know what people mean when they say that fresh roto FLATS sound like ROUNDS.... now im thinking of trying them out once my current strings die.

17. Tankdave

Tankdave

What is the point of using flats that sound like rounds, save your money and just stick with rounds?

18. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

If you're talking about TIs, they have their own thing going in, similar in some ways to flats and in others to rounds. The attack is still closer to flats, with some if the brightness of rounds during the sounding of the note.

One other benefit is the consistency, unlike the constantly shifting tone of rounds.

19. spellcaster

spellcaster

Great video... I'd like to hear how the Sadowsky flats fit into this lineup.

20. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

String noise, fret wear, and finger feel.

21. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

great vids, very helpful