Kind of New

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by bass_case, Jan 30, 2014.

1. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

I joined about a month ago, and am enjoying this place immensely.

I just turned 60 but have played bass since I was 14. Grew up with the British Invasion and went thru numerous garage bands, then a few bar bands in Chicago, started getting into jazz and got a music degree from University of Miami where I played in several jazz ensembles (even though my major was music engineering.) Had a couple of great bass teachers there. Played in some blues bands for a while, but other than a few jams, haven't played out for the last 25 years. Reeducation (computer science,) Jobs, kids, mortgages, elder care etc.

Sensing that the end of the rat race may be near, I've been dusting off my old (now, vintage!) basses and shaking the cobwebs out of my ancient fingers. Everything still seems to work and am looking forward to a more musical future.

To the people running this place, Thank You! It's an amazing resource..
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

First of the month I'll be 79 years old. Started all this when I retired in 2000. Up to that point music was something I listen to. The last 14 years have been enjoyable. I really did not think I'd last this long; I'm sure music has had something to do with that.
    :hyper:

Have played in a Country band since 2002. Same ole 50 songs over and over, and have played Praise music at our church for about two years now. Love Praise music and six new songs each Sunday keeps me busy.

The Country band plays afternoon gigs at nursing and retirement homes, birthday parties, county fairs, etc. There is a need for afternoon entertainment and now that I'm retired I have found I can stay as busy as I care to be playing music during daylight hours.

Have fun; people want afternoon entertainment and bands are always looking for a bass player.