1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

King Koa - Now With Nordy's!

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Nov 30, 2010.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Crash - that name is going to stick. My bass has officially become "King Koa" in my head now. :D

And here she is back from her visit to Greensboro. She's none the worse for wear. The guys in the Roscoe shop did a great job enlarging the PUP slots ever so slightly to fit the Barts in.

I'm tickled with the tone. It wasn't quite as drastic a change as I was anticipating, but it has definitely taken me in the direction I wanted to go. The tone is a bit smoother and more compressed. It sounds like a Roscoe now, which I'm really happy about. :hyper:

Here's a fresh sound clip:
    "The Funky Noel"

And here are some fresh pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

No more love for the JB5 in the 60's ? :p

Link no worky :)
  3. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Ooh....nice looking! If only they aligned the ball ends. :ninja:

I'm getting a bad link on the mp3?
  4. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Link fixy. Sorry 'bout that!
  5. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm definitely still all about Bardens! They have a very aggressive character and a big degree of articulation that I dig. I just wanted a change, I get bored with my tone every coupla years...
  6. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Lovin' the clip, Greg. Sound is fantastic...playing is outstanding.
  7. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks, Jerry! I've been working on a special clip for Christmas. I've been trying to lay out a really nice, multi-tracked, slow, fretless version of "Noel". But dang it, that's hard to do!!

In a hurry this morning, I picked up the tempo, put it in 4/4 and made it funky on King Koa.
  8. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

FWIW, my ears heard a nice dose of "Victor" inspiration in your playing. Very nice bounce to the groove, and just thunderous tone. You get an A+, my man.

Total personal preference thing here, but IMO the bass looks really nice with the Barts. Not that it should - or realistically does - matter...it's all about tone, right? But still - I've never been able to wrap my eyes around the look of the Bardens.
  9. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yep, I definitely had Victor on the brain trying to play the melody up high interspersed with little bits of bass line underneath.

Funny, I'm having the opposite reaction with the looks. I feel like the bass has been defanged a bit visually. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I do miss the edge that the blades added to the look...
  10. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    KING KOA LIVES AGAIN! :smug:

Very cool clip of Noel too.;)

So what's yer thoughts on the tone difference????

:D

God Bless, Ray
  11. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I love it! It smoothed out the highs AND the lows, so the bass is a little smoother and bigger sounding. It's still got plenty of edge, but I feel like I'll be able to dial that out now if I want.

And now my main Roscoe sounds like a Roscoe, and that's got me stoked!
  12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Is your bridge set further back on the body, or is it just the camera angle?
  13. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Your eyes ain't lying! My bridge is set back a bit. I replaced the original Hipshot with a KSM Foundation bridge, and I needed to scoot it back a smidge to get it to intonate properly.

I also replaced the original graphtech nut with a Warwick brass Just-A-Nut I.

Oh, and I sanded all the finish off the neck and oiled it with Tung oil.

I don't have a problem, do I?!?
  14. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    That bridge is an aftermarket bridge, it is both larger in footprint and has the witness points for the saddles in a slightly different location - so YES, it does sit back further on the body, the bass side corner actually hangs off the body just a bit. However, it is a very nice bridge, and if the size and fact that the ball ends are just sticking out in space weren't driving me nuts, I'd be seriously thinking about it as at least an option...however, the "naked ball ends" thing just messes with my aesthetic sense! :eek: :spit: ;)
  15. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    What a beauty, Greg!
    And nice tone and great playing. I'm digging it.
  16. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...not since they moved you into the room next door to Jerry's...

:ninja:
  17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Interesting (the bridge part - the rest is just your OCD :p). I am a big fan of getting the bridge far back on the body in order to shorten the overall length. This is one reason I like Rob Allen basses so much. I'd be interested to see a modified Century body (a little more of a P-bass shape at the bottom) with the Hipshot A bridge run close to the edge.
  18. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

The Ash and Wenge definitely keep a little bark in the bass, but just tweak that hi-mid knob to 10 o'clock and I bet it will hit the sweet spot. I think the Bart preamp will soften the mids of the Audere.

I just love my CS, the Alder body really adds nice punch and the Wenge board adds a sweet touch of mid. I really want these Jazz Barts in a P4 shell with the coils shifted toward the neck within the P4 shell. Gard is going to call Bartolini and find out if this can be done... right Gard? :D
  19. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

Sounds excellent as ever, if a litte different.

I don't know which I'd prefer.
  20. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I think I'd order a set of those for my fretless. :ninja: