KISS debut album..what kind of bass?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassisgood4U, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

It sounds like a P bass until he plays up the neck. Is it the Grabber/Ripper? Maybe the Labue? I'm thinking it's a shorter scale bass of some kind. Was there a studio bass lying around? Best representation of what I mean here is "Love Theme from Kiss". This is one of my favorite bass tones.

I'm obsessed with Gene.
  2. perkidan

perkidan

If I am not mistaken, Paul payed bass on Love Theme from Kiss. Someone correct me if I am wrong
  3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    IIRC, the entire first album was recorded on a P Bass. The bass lines were largely written by Ace, and played by Ace, Paul, Gene, and possibly a studio musician. There are too many stories floating around in these days of the interwebz, but the above seems to be the general consensus. I do seem to recall an interview with Gene in the early '90s in which he talks about the early stuff all being recorded on a Precision. However, I am old, and my memory may be suspect...
  4. thedane

thedane

"The bass lines were largely written by Ace, and played by Ace, Paul, Gene"

Wow. Really?

Ace was always my favorite contributor to that band and if this is true - even more so.

Is there any reliable source of info about this? I'd love to see it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

I happen to think Gene's tone on Only You/Under The Rose is amongst his finest.
  7. odin70

odin70

Rock n roll hell from Creatures. That is the tone Imo. Music man bass i think. I also like the tone on Naked city, unmasked. Music man.
  8. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I had no idea Ace wrote the bass lines. Thanks for info guys! Now I have at least a reference point to look up with.

"Only You" great song
  9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Eric Carr played bass on 'I Still Love You'.
  10. mrufino1

mrufino1

Creatures of the night is mostly (all perhaps?) played by Jimmy Haslip, he's spoken about it in interviews.