1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Kiss says it won't play at Rock HOF induction

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!!

Somewhere Mark St. John is rolling in Vinnie Vincent's grave.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

"there would be no reunion before they bought tickets for the induction ceremony, which range from $120 to nearly $600"

Who's surprised ?

4. P Town

P Town Guest

I never liked Kiss, and the R&R HOF is not really all that great either, so I think in the big scheme of things, it means almost nothing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

I've never bought a Kiss record in my life, though I played their stuff as a youngster because that was the gig and I have no complaints.

Right now, I want to Rock and Roll all Night, and grill some pork chops.

7. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

West Grove Pa (via the Northside of the 'Burg!)
    I am not a Kiss fan but believe they belong in the HOF because of the influence they have had and the shear number of albums and ticket sakes they have had. But that said, they don't belong with the artists that will be performing....don't hTe me for saying this but their makeup and pyro show is a bigger reason they are as popular as they are....to me their music has always been secondary to them

8. David Jayne

David Jayne

I just read that Gene and Paul will perform but they aren't inviting Peter or Ace.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Considering all the tapes of their performances used for their live album sucked so bad and needed so many studio fixes, they needed a legal opinion as to what percentage of material had to actually be performed in front of an audience to qualify as a live album, them not playing at the induction ceremony is a mercy for them AND us.

10. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Pretty much, in fact I find the idea of a Rock N ROll Hall of Fame to be very unRock N Roll.

11. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966

Paul and Gene were damned either way. Play with Ace and Peter as the Hall and fans want and their current market value
    (for band that includes replacement members in original makeup) decreases. Don't play ( as they appear to have chosen) and get slagged by many. Either way a losing bet. I bet they wished they never got the nod, that way they could have gone on from the safe position of being the 'underdogs'.
    Can't do that now!!

Either way, fun for a giggle.:smug:

Marc

12. GK Growl

GK Growl

Good thing I've managed to secure a room at the local psych ward to keep me from harming myself over this devastating news. :bag:

Now that's out of the way, I agree that while I am not or ever have been a real Kiss fan (can appreciate a few songs) and don't really care about the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame, Kiss should have been in a long time ago just by the fact that they are so influential and one of the most successful bands of all time.

On a more personal note, I couldn't imagine being in one of the biggest bands ever and not being able to put aside a few differences to do something that their fans would enjoy. Kinda like the whole Guns N Roses thing. These guys don't realize how blessed they are to have created some of the greatest music of their times (I know that's arguable to some) and how good for everyone it would be to just put aside egos and look at the bigger picture.

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Every band has studio fixes on "Live" Albums.

I read that Gene and Paul wanted Peter and Ace to perform along side Tommy and Eric but wanted everyone to dress in full stage outfits complete with make up. Ace said he thought it would be weird to be on stage next to Tommy with both of them looking exactly the same so Gene said to forget it.

I used to be a huge KISS fan but have been increasingly disappointed by their live performances. I have a recording off the board from a concert a couple of years ago and the vocals are terrible. I am also tired of multi-millionaires arguing with each other. They are like a bunch of 12 year old kids. I will never buy anything KISS related again.

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This is all great publicity for them. Their name has been in the news more today than it has been in years. Don't let anyone kid you about this being a lose/lose situation for them. EVERY situation for this band has been win/win since Day One.

Most R&R Hall of Fame performances aren't all that great. There are exceptions, of course.

I have to be totally honest about this:

I DON'T CARE.

15. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!!

16. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I used to listen to the Knights in Satan's Service back when I was young.
    Now I couldn't care less.
    And don't even get me started about that guy who named himself Gene Simmons...what is his real name anyway? Lol.
    Dang, ok I can't help myself, I will get started about him....lulz
    Rant ON!
    (Now this really happened, I am not making this up. If this offends anybody, blame the truth.)
    I remember seeing an episode of Family Jewels on YouTube where Gene was talking to his son about working on the car, and Gene tells his son, "That's a job for Gentiles..." :/
    Lol, really "Gene Simmons"??? Please tell us: what else are Gentiles good for???
    What a jerk. In my book that is racism pure and simple. I could not believe the producers had the cajones to even air a statement like that. It's a good thing they were not taliking about watermelon and fried chicken I guess.
    Rant off.
    Whew, I feel better...
    Anyway I am surprised KISS was not inducted a long time ago, they should fit right in.

17. richntiff

richntiff

So the crappiest excuse for a band to ever play isn't playing the show for the biggest joke of a HOF ever? I can probably think of something I care less about, but it will probably involve a Kardashian...

18. squirefan

squirefan

Has no bearing on my life whatsoever!

19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I think KISS has played enough live shows in their career to give an awards ceremony a pass.

I still dig those first 6 KISS studio records to this day. Haters gonna hate.

20. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Can't blame them. R&R HOF has become a parody of itself. With inductees like Madonna, Abba, and Donna Summer, I think I would pass on the invitation to even show up. These are three great artists in their own right, but don't belong in this venue. All are pop icons & belong elsewhere.

21. Mugre

Mugre

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Public."

H.L. Mencken