Kit bass from D to G

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SquareWaves, Feb 5, 2014.

1. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

I made a bass from a Saga P-bass kit and I truly love it. It's played great and has surpassed all the other basses I own, probably because of my attachment to it. I've recently started a project with a friend that's in G, and I've thought about using this bass for it. It has Dimarzio Model P's and a Hipshot bridge. I've not typically heard Fender style basses used in low tuned bands but I really do not like how active pickups sound. So basically I guess I'm asking if this has the chance to sound decent? I plan on purchasing some Circle K strings and a new nut to compensate for the tension.

Please no comments of "fundementals" or "you can't even hear NOTES". This is not intended for clean, pristine pieces. It is intended for filth. I just want to know that it won't sound weak.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Sound decent is highly subjective, there are guys out there de-tuning Fenders but no bass is really going to sound that great that low. What kind of cab will you be using? That will play a big role in how decent your rig will sound, not all cabs can reproduce those lows.

Oh and low G(0?) can definitely be heard, there are plenty of guys who tune to F# and at least one cat going to C#, the low C# is where the debate opens up about human recognition. I am not opening the debate, just tossing that out there. Last time I said nobody argues about hearing E0 but some guy posted something on the next post, so I don't want to paint a broad stroke with my brush here.

Have you played a bass tuned that low? I played a fanned fret F# and it had terrible wolftones by the first fret, I personally did not like it but I wish you the best in your endeavor. I would not worry about it sounding "weak" unless you run it through a 4" speaker, that bass will have a thud that kicks you in the chest with a low G as long as your rig can push it.