Klira Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joakimxd, Oct 1, 2013.

1. joakimxd

joakimxd

Hello.
    I just bought an old Klira Jazz Bass of Ebay, But i can't seem to find one similar. Have any of you seen one, and knows anything about it, maybe what year? Or could it just be a klira neck, and another kind of bass? Well just speak out if you have seen one like this :
    [​IMG]

2. jordak

jordak

It's an off-brand bass - Even if the neck were switched, it wouldn't really change anything to you the player. As long as the setup is decent, and the electronics all function decently, you've got a bass that's worth $40-$100 simply for being a playable bass.

3. joakimxd

joakimxd

I don't quite understand your reply.. how is it an off-branded bass when it is branded as Klira? And I cant seem to find a klira bass below 900$ on ebay, so the 50-100$ can't be right, if this is a Klira it is made in germany in the late 60's early 70's...

4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    To me that looks like a MIJ (made in Japan) bass with the Klira logo slapped on it. The did make solid body sort of small short scale Fender like basses, I own a bunch of Kliras never seen one like yours.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Klira did indeed make a couple of Jazz Bass copies during the 70's. The first was in 1970 known as the SM18 and the second was made in the late 70's known as the MS 50/2. Both basses were marketed under their "Magic Sound" name, not Klira. However, it's possible that the SM18 might have shipped with the Klira name on the headstock.

I would be interested in seeing more photo of the OP's bass. Photos can tell a lot if you know about the original manufacturers manufacturing technics.

TD

7. joakimxd

joakimxd

8. Thornton Davis

After looking at the rest of the photos (in the link) I do believe that the bass is a SM18. However the images are rather small and don't enlarge. I'd like to see a larger version of them but you can definitely tell that the neck and hardware on it was made by Klira.

TD

9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    You da Klira man TD! On my tablet I could enlarge the pictures the logo does look legit.

10. joakimxd

joakimxd

thanks for the replies. I Cant seem to find a picture of a SM18 do you have a picture of one? Just so i Can compare :)

11. Thornton Davis

There are no photos of a SM18 anywhere. That's the problem in identifying your bass 100%.

TD

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Klira is a Japanese-made clone of a Fender bass - those were cranked out of Japan in the 60's by the thousands. They are often fun to play, but have no collector value and not much retail value.

It is indeed an "off-brand" bass because it's not any particular brand. Some of those manufacturers put five or more different brand names on the same instruments, depending on which store ordered them. Many of the Montgomery Wards and Sears instruments were made in this fashion.

I enjoy those clone basses, and I find they often are pretty cool "players". That's the category of this bass - not collectible, just a player.

13. Thornton Davis

Pilgrim, there were two Klira companies, the original German company and the later Japanese/Korean Kliracort company which made knock-off copies. Today they're known simply as Cort.

TD

14. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

Since the burst doesn't go over the arm cut, there's a pretty good chance it's a plywood body.

15. joakimxd

joakimxd

Thanks for the response, can't wait to get it home :)