1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Knobs for EMG controls?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Oct 7, 2012.

1. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey Supporting Member

I have some older EMG pups...active and the pot shafts are larger than normal knobs. I bought some used EMG knobs off TB but they won't fit either. Any ideas? Going on a jazz bass.
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

What do you mean by larger?

Is the shaft thicker or longer?
  3. sleepy_monkey

Oops sorry. They are thicker.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's a rather personal question.
  5. sleepy_monkey

Haha. In that case I might need to change my answer. ;-)
  6. LIOGM

LIOGM

bump for answer... I'm in this same situation. I put EMG's on a schecter stiletto deluxe, and the schecter stock knobs won't fit. They're too small for the EMG pots. Any ideas on what I should buy? What should I ask for?
  7. Cadfael

Cadfael

I DON'T KNOW THE CORRECT ANSWER ...

But ...

In Germany we have the problem hat German and Asian pots have a 6 mm axis.
    American pots often / mostly have 1/4" which is 6.3 mm ...

The Squier or Fender China basses (should) have Asian pots ...
    There are knobs for "Asian" Jazz Basses (6 mm) and American/Mexican Jazz Basses (full axis - 6.3 mm).

It is even more complicated with Stratocaster (late 70s JB) knobs!
    Hope you get what I mean ... In Germany we call it "Riffelachse" (ripple axis - axis like a star, with the cut in the middle). Many Strats have knobs for 6 mm "ripple axis". But old Fender Strats surely have a 6.3 mm ripple axis and then knobs don't fit.

I would guess that the old EMG pots have a 6.3 mm axis and the knobs 6 mm???
    Nowadays many companies (also Schecter) manufacture in Asia. So the Stiletto knobs surely are 6 mm - and the axis 6.3 mm ...

Does EMG manufacture anything in the USA anymore???
    Maybe they changed to "metric world standard" (also because of production place) and the old EMGs were "Made in the USA" with the anglo/saxon measuring system.
  8. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

9. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

I have a few EMG knobs laying around. Stack and single. PM me with what you need and I'll send them your way gratis.