1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Knox " Victoria" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ratfink, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Ratfink

Ratfink

I have just acquired an old Knox " Victoria" bass. It needs some parts, like a bridge, control pots and mounting plate. Maybe even a better pickup as well. Should I change the string routing to a through body set up ? I do not have any pics of it yet...but here is a link to one. http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3522115530.html ( maybe I am old, but I like the neck inlays on this ) Plus someone went after mine with a power sander .. . . looks like mahogany, but it is done with 9 plies ....the neck looks to be made of the same wood, but it is solid / rosewood board / cream binding blending into the block inlays...nice looking neck, I think. Unique control plate ( the pic looks chrome, possibly being even made from steel...mine is the same, just black and plastic. So I have a project on my hands for sure...So any help, suggestions would be great.
    Thanks everyone.
  2. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Wow. Really cool and unique. I like everything about that bass. If it were mine I would do only as needed to get it playable and reliable. Like changing out pots/input jack and fixing the bridge issues. I like it as is.
  3. Meddle

Meddle

I would raise the action, lose two of the strings and form a Morphine tribute band! Not sure through-body stringing would really help much. Firstly because I wager the body is probably about 5cm thick, but also because I doubt it would add much by way of tone. A wee bass like that is going to be a thump machine either way.

The pickup might benefit from wax potting, but in general I would leave it as it is and appreciate it for what it is!
  4. Ratfink

Ratfink

Oh yeah I forgot to mention...no bridge cover either. But the existing bridge in garbage and has a damaged saddle ( can't even really call it a saddle, it's just a bent piece of steel ) I think I got it in tune for an hour haha.
  5. Ratfink

Ratfink

Size of the body is larger than it looks there. It is comparable to an Gibson EB-0 or ESP Viper...just ( pounds ) lighter.
    So I might just go after a bridge, and pots. I will take pics as I go along.
    Thanks again.
  6. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    It's a Guyatone I believe.
  7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

I would say that it's a mid 60's Teisco.

TD
  8. Ratfink

Ratfink

So here is the project. I have broken the bass down and am preping the body and neck for paint. For some reason I cant post pictures. Will keep trying.