Kolstein bow info and price sanity check

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by pskelly, Jan 26, 2007.

1. pskelly

pskelly

I have been bow shopping and have tried about two dozen bows. My favorite, for both sound and playability, is the Samuel Kolstein bow pictured here.

http://homepage.mac.com/pete.kelly/PhotoAlbum8.html

First question: Does anybody know anything about this type of Kolstein bow, such as when it may have been made and where it falls in their line of bows? I emailed them with the pictures but did not hear back. The bow weighs about 135 g, the hair length is 21 inches and it is stamped "Samuel Kolstein."

Second question: This bow is offered by a local string shop for $2,500.
    This is $600 - $800 above my price range, but it is easily the best of those I have tried, which include Heliomar Cirilo, Alfred Knoll, Prochownick, a from-the-Duhaut-shop bow stamped "Benjamin Duhaut," and Emile Dupree. These bows are all $1400 or less.

Is the Kolstein bow price a fair price? If not, what might be? I have not yet tried to see if they would come down some.

Thanks,
    Pete

2. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Sams best bows do fetch that kind of money. He made cheaper bows that had special stamps, like "oval stamp". Yours I think is in the higher category. I would try to keep shopping and try to play more bows in that price range. If you can really tell the difference, then you may have to adjust your budget, whatever bow you end up buying. I paid $2000 for an early Kolstien about 10 years ago. It's absolutely not for sale.
    Robobass

3. Masters2010

Masters2010

I currently play a "Kolstein and Son" bow which I bought from Kolstein at about that price. To my understanding, Kolstein and Son are the earlier, "better" bows while the Samuel Kolstein bows are just made by the son and aren't regarded as high as the others. Give Sam Kolstein himself a call and talk to him about the bow you're talking about and his other bows in general, he's the best source of information for this topic.

4. ispider6

ispider6

I'm afraid you won't have any luck reaching Sam Kolstein. If you do want to contact the shop about the bow, better stick to speaking to his son, Barrie.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Mebbe he has a Ouigee board?

7. Masters2010

Masters2010

Oh oops, I mixed them up :/

8. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Just to clarify, Sam was the father, and made some wonderful bows from the 1960's into the 80's. He died I think in the early 90's. Kolstein and Sons bows are made in the shop run by Barry, his son. I haven't tried them, but it is a much more industrial operation now, so I wouldn't expect the same quality. Another note, and I hope it's not a bass urban legend, I am told that Sam procured a huge cache of very old pernambuco from a defunct Wurlitzer factory, so even current bows are probably made from very high quality wood.
    Robobass

9. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Having hauled much of that cache myself I can tell you it is not a myth. Sam was a genius of aquisition.

10. pskelly

pskelly

So the bows stamped 'Samuel Kolstein' are the older ones and the newer ones are stamped 'Kolstein and Sons'?

I ask because an earlier post says the opposite.

Thanks for the help.

11. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Yes. mine is actually very crudely stamped "S.KOLSTEIN". Barry told me it was one of his father's earliest bows. Anyone know when it might have been made?
    Robobass

12. pskelly

pskelly

The one I am considering is stamped with the full name, 'Samuel Kolstein.' I would like to get an idea when it was made, also, and the rough value.

13. ispider6

ispider6

I believe I remember seeing that Barrie was asking around $2500 for the older Samuel Kolstein bows (the one's actually made by Sam) but that was a few years ago. Not sure where the price lies now (or whether my memory is accurate for that matter :rollno: