Korg MS20 Mini...

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Dan Bozek, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    So whoa... I missed this NAMM announcement until today!! I'm TOTALLY buying one. $700. My Dad had an original and loved it. It was in our list of things that he sold when I was born and wished that he could see into the future and didn't sell. (Along with his Rhodes, Whirly, Mini, Micro, and Memory Moog, and '60-something Strat... 8^/ He was a synth guy, building stuff as a semi-profession/hobby and went computer science when he got married and had me, to some regret later, but not really because he was a good man...)

Anyway, what's your take?! You gonna get one? At $700 it seems like a complete no-brainer to me.
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

I heard it, and I have to tell you: it sounds like my legit MS-20. Straight up. Run, don't walk.
  3. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Oh you have an original already... Excellent. Yeah, it is at the top of my list of new acquisitions.
  4. RCCollins

RCCollins

I just wish it had a full-size keyboard...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmjbassplayer

That's the bummer - the tiny keys, and the mini jack output :( I don't see why they really had to do that, unless it's because of all the leftover parts/chassis that they had from that abysmal software controller they made. But it does have MIDI, that's pretty cool. For $700, it's all good tho.
  7. plasson

plasson

yeah, the mini jack out is a bummer.
    but it's cool that everything else is 1/8" connection, that way it can easily be integrated into eurorack systems (minus the Hz/Oct thing).
    I read it's going to be 600$.
    sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
  8. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
  9. amos

amos

So glad they did this, as an original MS-20 should not cost more than $700. They were cheap synths when they came out. They sound awesome, but I would never pay eBay prices for an original MS-20. Unless I was some dumb synth collector or something. I'm a player.
  10. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    For you guys with all the synth knowledge - would this be a better pick up than the DSI Tetra?
  11. pbass2

pbass2

That's apples to oranges---the biggest difference of course being that the Korg is a mono synth and the Tetra is poly. And really, entirely different beasts even beyond the mono/poly difference....
  12. jmjbassplayer

13. erluna

erluna

14. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
  15. erluna

erluna

I wonder how difficult it would be to remove the mini keyboard and make it more of a rack unit a la Cwejman S1. It would be pretty cool in a Eurorack system.
  16. jmjbassplayer