1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Korg MS20 Mini...

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Dan Bozek, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    So whoa... I missed this NAMM announcement until today!! I'm TOTALLY buying one. $700. My Dad had an original and loved it. It was in our list of things that he sold when I was born and wished that he could see into the future and didn't sell. (Along with his Rhodes, Whirly, Mini, Micro, and Memory Moog, and '60-something Strat... 8^/ He was a synth guy, building stuff as a semi-profession/hobby and went computer science when he got married and had me, to some regret later, but not really because he was a good man...)

Anyway, what's your take?! You gonna get one? At $700 it seems like a complete no-brainer to me.
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

I heard it, and I have to tell you: it sounds like my legit MS-20. Straight up. Run, don't walk.
  3. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Oh you have an original already... Excellent. Yeah, it is at the top of my list of new acquisitions.
  4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

I just wish it had a full-size keyboard...
  5. jmjbassplayer

That's the bummer - the tiny keys, and the mini jack output :( I don't see why they really had to do that, unless it's because of all the leftover parts/chassis that they had from that abysmal software controller they made. But it does have MIDI, that's pretty cool. For $700, it's all good tho.
  6. plasson

plasson

yeah, the mini jack out is a bummer.
    but it's cool that everything else is 1/8" connection, that way it can easily be integrated into eurorack systems (minus the Hz/Oct thing).
    I read it's going to be 600$.
    sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
  7. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
  8. amos

amos

So glad they did this, as an original MS-20 should not cost more than $700. They were cheap synths when they came out. They sound awesome, but I would never pay eBay prices for an original MS-20. Unless I was some dumb synth collector or something. I'm a player.
  9. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    For you guys with all the synth knowledge - would this be a better pick up than the DSI Tetra?
  10. pbass2

pbass2

That's apples to oranges---the biggest difference of course being that the Korg is a mono synth and the Tetra is poly. And really, entirely different beasts even beyond the mono/poly difference....
  11. jmjbassplayer

12. erluna

erluna

13. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
  14. erluna

erluna

I wonder how difficult it would be to remove the mini keyboard and make it more of a rack unit a la Cwejman S1. It would be pretty cool in a Eurorack system.
  15. jmjbassplayer