1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Korn-Fieldy's technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Jun 6, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Hi everyone, I am new to Talkbass.com. I have been playing bass for about 5 years now and the other day my band decided to cover "Got The Life" by Korn. I never was into Korn too much. How the hell does Fieldy get the sound we hear? Any Korn fans out there that can help me? Does Fieldy use any kinds of effects? How does he get that clicking sound (besides the fact that his 5-string is tuned down 1 whole step)? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D
  2. 7Stringer

7Stringer

Please do a search on the forum, we have beat this subject to death :)

:: honkers down for the Fieldy flame war ::
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Boost your lows, cut your mids all the way, boost your highs all the way, and make sure your cab has a tweeter. Turn the tweeter all the way up too.
  4. sotua

sotua

Tune down. Loose string click easier.

Put a smiley in your eq. Boost the highs, drop the mids, boost the lows. And then boost the highs. And push that "bright" switch in your amp if it has one.

Play aggressive. Really dig into those strings. Try to force the strings to hit the fretboard (quasi-slapping). Low action would be nice for this. Pretend that you are an alcoholic monkey that doesn't know how to play bass, and spank that bass.

If you are miking your cab, put the mic closer to the tweeter :p
  5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Thank's for the awesome replies ladies and gents. :cool:
  6. Tash

Tash

tuning so your strings are really loose helps too.
  7. silent method

silent method

also known as "down tuning" as per the original post
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

I forget, didn't it have something to do with his shoes?
  9. eric234

eric234 Guest

and also play your bass with the strap really low and have it almost upright that helps to get the right hand slap sound he gets
  10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

He has technique?
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

It would be pretty embarrassing but maybe we need a Fieldy megathread?
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Trust me, there are enough Fieldy threads on TB that he could have his own forum... :eek:

So much for the search function. :rollno:
  13. FluxFreak13

FluxFreak13

Ive seen lots of posts on how he tunes
    But i seen him on you tube saying that he only detunes the B string to an A
    the rest are all in standard
    And he slaps with his thumb and hand not just one finger
    he also sturms down with all 4 fingers and pulls or pops at certain times
  14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Lol. Not a fan of Korn after their first 2 albums. The first Korn album is absolutely great. I have met Fieldy twice and I can tell you he is an extremely nice, stand up guy. I hear lots of guys ( mostly around here, lol) talk about how Fieldy is a crappy bass player.

So, I want to see some of you Pros post a video of you playing Blind for me.
  15. Lublin

Lublin Supporting Member

LOL!
  16. Rev J

Rev J

Funny how Victor Wooten and Abe Laboriel use slap and strum techniques and you guys say they're great yet Fieldy uses some of the same techniques and he's "A drunk baboon who can't play bass."

Wow! Really!?

Are you really so caught up in stupid things like "Genre" and "Popularity" to see beyond it?

I like his playing even though I don't play that genre. One thing I noticed on the track "Freak on a Leash" is that the bass line is essentially an Afro-Cuban Bass Tumbao with a flat fifth.

I think that Fieldy is a good player for Korn and his tone is good for that but it wouldn't really work for any other band. When you are dealing with 2 down tuned 7 string guitars so that the low B is the same as an open A on a standard tuned bass that the player insists on a scooped mid sound, a down tuned bass (again scooped), and a kick drum all fighting for the same frequency range you almost have to rely on tricks like miking a tweeter to get the bass to stand out in the track.

By the way I do wear the Fieldy shoes. I figured as a bass playing hippie the bass clefs and peace signs spoke to me. plus they're cheap and comfortable. I wear them more as a proud bass player then as a Korn Fan. Bassist down to the tires holmes.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J
  17. Tupac

Tupac

Good job, I'll hop in my time machine and be sure to relay the message to the OP.
  18. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Holy zombie thread...

tumblr_m9dr82UGjD1r85gr2o1_1280.jpg
  19. mward69

mward69

This is what I always say when people start bashing his sound or playing.....HE is on stage, touring, "living the rockstar life" and YOUR not ;) he has made a TON of money...where are you? Sitting at home, bashing HIS playing ....lol
  20. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

So? Doesn't mean people can't have an opinion on his playing or sound. Just because he's rich or famous does not make him immune to anything.