1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Kracklin' and-a-Poppin'

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

I just took in an unwanted Hartke VX 215 cab after having sold off a couple very nice old cabs via TB here... I plugged my head into the VX and the speakers were producing an ugly, intermittent 'crackling' sound. The tweeter was blown (of course, and that's fine) so after I by-passed the silly x-over and wired the 15s directly to the input jack, I was still getting the crackling sound. :mad:

Is it the jack? I don't think it's the drivers. I'll probably just replace the jack with a Switchcraft... I'm only posting about it just in case someone knows right off the bat what it is, because I believe in magic. :)

I like these cabs though. In a world where Deluxe is King, I remain happily at the lower end of the totem pole. Doesn't seem to bother my playing any- I no longer am very freaked out about what I play through.

Oh yeah- I painted the tweeter-horn black, and screwed it's newly-disassociated self back into the baffle. The cab looks much more dignified now without that toy-looking plastic square thing making its cheep presence known from behind the grille (sorry Larry...). It's almost kind of 'handsome' now... I'm going to paint the plastic 15" driver surrounds next. Pix when I'm done- I'll post on the Hartke thread (I'm sure there is one) and link to it here...

2. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

Okay, well hey- got it all set. Thanks for all the nice help and chimin' in, everybody! :D

Seriously, don't know what it was. But it's gone now... I'm sure I had some cable trip or something going on. Anyway I sold off a nice pair of slam-dunk killer cabs, as I need the bread for something else. And I needed less stuff to cart around. Lazy's ok, if you can do it...

Here's what I got to replace the killer-dillers I sold with- it's a very good cab, for me, who don't need no stinkin' tweeter- I can make my sound through it. The SWR head likes it. I by-passed the x-over/tweeter, wired the 15s directly to the jack, and painted the tweeter's horn black. See?

[​IMG]

3. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Looks good! Glad you solved the problem. Intermittent wiring issues can be a real pain in the arse to deal with. :)

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Hahaha...:)

If I'd have noticed this, I would've probably pointed towards voice coil rub or something, but hey, it works!

Nice amp. I have one of those but it's broke now.

Nice bass too. Looks just like my '94 Mexican except for mine has the white, numbered knobs.

If I somehow ended up in a position where I for some reason had to use your rig through some strange turn of events......I'd be right at home with it.:p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Damn nice work on the cab logo too....I love that.

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    And the coily cord....great touch there....I have a white one.

8. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

Thanks thanks for the good words guys! Everyone should have a Sharpie (marker) handy for those spontaneous inspirations, I always say...

The noise... I think that was either a jack or my amp- it still has some 'scratch' in the eq sliders. Anyhow yay, she's-a-workin'!