1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Kringle77 sealed 2x12 video

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kringle77, Aug 19, 2013.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

2. majortoby

majortoby

How would you say it compares to a 410 in terms of absolute volume?
  3. majortoby

majortoby

Nice playing, BTW!
  4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Nice video and great work on the cab.

Very cool that you've found exactly what you need. And that suits your (awesome) tone and playing so well.

Kudos.
  5. kringle77

Here is the cab with a beta 12lta "wizzy" driver loaded in the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNZJj-hpnQs

And here it is loaded with both beta 12a drivers demonstrating the ebs billy sheehan overdrive with a crossover in the clean loop.

Thanks for the compliments, I really am happy with this cab. A good 4x10 is going to have more output than one of my sealed cabs. The ported "hurtful" 2x12 will keep up with or play louder than any 4x10. It will sound better doing it too. Check that video out as well.
  6. majortoby

majortoby

What, pray tell, is the hurtful 212?

Also, youtube says the above video is private...
  7. kringle77

oooops. Have to figure it out. There will be a link for the hurtful soon.
  8. majortoby

majortoby

Just watched the hurtful vid. Sounds killer, but something about that sealed 212 just does it for me...
  9. majortoby

majortoby

I wonder if the beta 15 would fit the same tonal profile as these two beta 12's. I LOVE the sound, but cannot afford to build a speaker box that won't have all the loud I need for at least two years to come. I.E. I NEED to build to every possible scenario.
  10. kringle77

The beta 15 wont sound the same. Two beta 12a's in a sealed cab will be enough for most players. The bergantino CN212 is louder than this sealed 2x12 but, I think mine sounds better. My hurtful is louder than the berg and sounds better, to me, also. And, I built the pair of sealed cabs and the hurtful in 3-days, and still did it for $300 less than the berg costs. Crazy.
  11. majortoby

majortoby

Yeah, that's why I think I'm just going to straight-up steal your design ;)
    As cost effective as it is, I could afford to build 4 in a year! And that SHOULD cover most of my needs for now, yes?
  12. kringle77

Yeah, most likely! Steal away, it's no big secret. Im totally happy and can't wait to get the two sealed cabs completely finished when the hardware comes in.
  13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Fun stuff Chris. I actually like that 3012HO loaded cab quite a bit. Reminds my of my CN212 a little bit. Did you make your cabs or farm that part of it out?
  14. kringle77

I built them myself. Both sealed and the hurtful in about 3 days. I had the cn212 for a day. It was really good but, i like mine better. The hurtful is louder, can be growlier, or smoother because of the smoothing switch and I can build 3 of them for the price of the berg. It is kind of like an eden d410xlt but, clearer. WAY lighter. 47lbs made out of 3/4 ply and sturdy.
  15. kringle77

These sealed 12's were built because I couldn't find cabs that had the tone and feel I wanted, and that were also portable. I also had the goal of only using parts that could be replaced in 3-days, and affordably. I got tired of spending alot of money to not get what I wanted and then getting hamstringed along by guys who use custom parts that are too expensive and hard to get. You can build this cab for under $250 and cheaper than that if you build multiples like I did. Of course, you will have to use a genz 12.2 head or a stereo power amp to run a pair. I also got tired of trying to find 16ohm drivers that worked so, I just gave up and bought the stereo amp so that the impedance of cabs wouldn't be an issue anymore. It was a good move for me because, it opened up every possibility. Wish I would have done it sooner.
  16. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Looks about the same size as an old Bag End 212 . It too has 2 separate chambers but not sealed .. Has a tiny hole on the rear..

LOVE the sound of your cab ...
    Cant wait to see the two of them together in the next video.
  17. kringle77

The outside dimensions are 15" wide, 15" deep and 26.5" tall. Wont weigh it until the hardware is on. This is two seperate chambers. Each one is 1ft3 and lined with white itch free fiberglass insulation from lowes. Yeah, there will be at least one more video with both sealed cabs together. I've got the bass, amp and cabs that I've been seeking. There is nothing that I want and it feels good. I really love my other cabs but, when I plug into these sealed cabs, it makes me want to play more.
  18. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

NICE!

I prefer the sealed cab. Just a bit tighter in all the right places.

Should be interesting to see where this goes...
  19. kringle77

I've experimented with some other things just to be sure and I can say that, this is as far as it goes because Im happy. A pair of them on the floor for coupling, turned into each other slightly to get some better dispersion and thats it. Done.

The Beta 12lta was pretty cool. Excellent dispersion! Just the right amount of smooth, clean top end. Better than any mid I've used, easily. But, the 12a, even though darker, has more native growl and sounds perfect for me. If you get too bright, you can hear too many noises when when fast or aggressive. If you heard geddy lee play through a fearful cab, you would probably think his technique sucks because, you would hear so much rattle and noise. Thats not the case of course. Part of the reason this cab is working is because it gives you what you need and nothing extra. Sometimes limitations are good. No tweet will ever go into this cab, count on it. Again, this isn't rocket science. I found a driver that met my needs and built the right cab around it. Don oatman has probably built 100 cabs identical to this one. Some of these builders make their designs seem like dark magic or that they've spent years locked in a room devoping their cabs. BS. I did it by talking to some helpful TB'ers and buying the eminence software. And a healthy amount of experimenting. But, to be honest, most of the experimenting happened because I was trying to do what people said was right or, changing my designs to make them right. I could have found the happy medium quicker and cheaper but, in the end, I have learned alot and have what I wanted. I do enjoy the chase and am curious so, it's been fun.
  20. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller Supporting Member

Cool cab, and good video too.