1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Kubicki Ex Factor. Need somebody who knows

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fretlezzz, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Fretlezzz

Fretlezzz

Hello guys. Sorry for my english, I can make some mistakes, but I need some professional advices. So, just two days ago I was a dreamer. I live in Moscow and here's not too much Kubicki Ex Factors. Well, I guess you know. So I was just burning! And after just three weeks of brainstorm I finally have one. The most funny thing is that I traded it for my Musicman Stingray 5 '00 and Fender Sting Precision bass 1 to 1. I meant 2 for 1 :) Don't tell me that it's too expensive, I know.

So, now I have this: [​IMG]

0174 03 86. Just 150 from John Taylor's one of Duran Duran :)

So I have some questions for the people who know this instrument pretty well.

One thing is that bridge pickup is about 1,5 times quieter than a neck one. I mean electronics in the most hard active 1st position. Is that normally? I just turn the pan knob to the neck position and it is so.

Well, actually I just trying to find something bad about it, because this bass is just... I don't know ho to say. Wonderful? Beautiful? The best that I ever had? It plays itself, I can only make some corrections in tune with my fingers :)

The other is about how do you use your Factor and what is your favorite settings of it's 3 (actually 5) knobs?

And here he comes to slapping again :)

PS. I bought that red Musicman here from the man nicknamed "dcr". That bass was amazing!

(Можем говорить по-русски, хоть это и будет нечестно по отношению к остальным)

2. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

It has frets! :scowl:

:D

3. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius

Had one for about 10 years - in mine the bridge pickup was hotter due to the fact that (at least on mine) the pickup was almost right on the strings - maybe about a 1/2 inch gap - but the neck pickup wasn't that dramatically different, so maybe it's hotter by design. I'd check the settings on the circuit board. My favorite settings were standby and the 2 actives (with and without mid boost). Congrats on your bass purchase!

4. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

The most likely reason would be pickup height, or the distance between the pickup and the strings. If there is a big difference, try raising the pickup. I will go right now and look at my electronics to see if there is an internal adjustment for each pup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I just took a look at my 1988, pre Fender, 18 volt, 5 position switch Kubicki, and there are no internal level adjustments. If you cannot correct this with adjusting the pickup height, then here is what you can try to start your troubleshooting. The pickups are connected to the circuit board with solder-less connectors. Try swapping the connectors. The lower output will either move to the other position on the blend pot, (follow the pickup), or stay with the same position on the blend pot. This last result would indicate the pickup is not the problem, but the issue lives in the preamp circuit somewhere.

Best of luck and enjoy your awesome new bass…

James

7. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Glad to see you're dreams were realized! I had one the same colour, a FCS but no less awesome. I also had an '86 (05/86 283) and the active to passive on both was a big drop-off or boost (depending which direction you are going) I think this is normal, as I recall Kubicki literature noting it. (more an issue from passive to active) I hardly used the passive settings and so the one click less FCS version wasn't an issue for me. It records beautifully and I can always pick out that signature Factor sound/tone in a blindfold test.

Check out The Kubicki Factor, the website honoring Phil and his Factors. https://www.facebook.com/gofactor?ref=br_tf

8. stuhammfan

stuhammfan

My favorite setting on my 1992 Exfactor - (it's a post fender 18 volt Exfactor) is the "flat" active setting- it would be the 2nd "click" from the off position- I have the treble wide open, bass up maybe half and the pickup blend/pan set mid way- this yields an awesome tone - like Vail Johnson gets or early Stu Hamm. Congrats!

Attached Files:

9. Fretlezzz

Fretlezzz

One more question. What kind of strings fits it well and which are not? Usually I prefer flatwounds like Ernie Ball or GHS, but with this D-tuner and 36" hystory obviously may change :)

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on your dream bass I think it was a great trade seeing how rare these are.

11. Fretlezzz

Fretlezzz

Thanks. I did as you said. The one that was louder is still louder. I guess the problem is much easier. The pickup screws has inch dimensions, but I have only millimeter hexahedrons ) So I can't adjust pickups height. I should go and buy some )

12. stuhammfan

stuhammfan

Phil recommend gauges 45-105 (it's on the Kubicki website) and I've talked with Phil several times in the past. Phil was a great guy and always took the time to talk with me anytime I called, I sure miss him.

I've always had great success with 45-105 nickel wounds from DR or Sit strings.

13. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Cool. This means the pickup is the source of the level difference. While it may be the height, there may be some sort of failure in the pickup. Hopefully there is room to raise the pickup and that solves it.

I have seen big changes by raising a pickup 1/4 inch. Best of luck.

14. Kubicki440

Kubicki440

2nd click for me as well. Nice bass!

15. Kubicki440

Kubicki440

I used .45-105 Rotosound, D'Addario, and Ernie Ball.

16. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    I have serial # 268 built in 1986 and in early 1987 I did a European tour with Bo Diddley and we flew out of LAX. On my drive down there I stopped and saw Phil and he told me their was an update for the electronics. He changed mine and it did make quite a difference.

I've always used one of the two active positions but favored the one with the mid-cut. In most cases I would need to roll the bass knob back a little. Of course the other important part of the equation where one sets the pickup blend.

Wally

17. Harlan

Harlan

I bought mine new in February of 1992 (post Fender) and it's been my main bass ever since. I've been using DR 45-105 Hi Beam or Lo Riders for many years (stainless steel, I seem to be alergic to nickel strings). They fit the extended E string perfect and I've never broken one.

I set my bass to the first active setting (flat) and full volume, full treble, full bass, and the pan knob set right in the middle or slightly panned toward the bridge pickup. I use the settings on my amp to get the right sound. I've used Trace Elliot for years until I bought an Ashdown MAG 300 1-15 combo as a practice amp but found it to be a great sounding amp and love how portable it is, I use a Trace Elliot 1-15 cab plugged into the ashdown at gigs, though.

I absoluely LOVE my X-Factor. I'm sure you'll love yours too.