1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Kustom 12" 2 way PA Speakers

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by tothemax, Feb 12, 2014.

1. tothemax

tothemax Supporting Member

I've got a Yamaha EX-660 powered (300w main, 300w monitor) mixer with a pair of Yamaha 12" floor monitors that are rated at 300w ea.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-a12m-12-2-way-floor-monitor

Our budget is a little tight so I'm thinking about buy a couple of these Kustom floor monitors and moving the Yamaha's to "house" side and picking up a set of these for floor monitors - fits a little better with our budget. I'm pretty sure they are rated at 100w.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-KPC12M-12IN-Monitor-Speaker-Cab-with-Horn-Pair-600552-i1322339.gc

Anyone had any experieince with these, thoughts? We are a 5 - 6 piece classisc rock, R&B with 2-3 vocals at any time.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I haven't used these particular monitors but I have used other Kustom gear. If you're on a really tight budget they will pass in a pinch and sound OK. Have you looked at used gear? For the same money you can probably find something a little farther up the food chain.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  3. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Carvin PM5s They are two for 119.00 on ebay with cables. They sound great
  4. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

5. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

Have to agree -
    I use 4 of these for bigger jobs - and 2 as tops 2 as monitors on others.......sometimes with a sub - sometimes not depending on what is needed. WITH cables too? yea........
  6. tothemax

tothemax Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip, I've got a VOX AD50VT 2x12 collecting dust and you can usually get a 1/2 decent trade on new gear - that's why I was thinking of the GC stuff. ;) I'll cehck out the Carvins - they have always made quality gear.
  7. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

I've used those exact Kustoms for many bar gigs over the last 6 years with the same Yamaha mixer, they've been great. You can always get better, but these are completely useful for the money. I think I paid $140 shipped to Musicians Friend for the pair brand new on a sale when I first bought them in '07.
  8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i had the 10" version of those kustom speakers. i did not like their sound at all. they seemed cheaply made from cheap components. they also liked to feed back. i installed cut-off switches for the horns and that helped quite a bit with the feedback issues. you might look around for those used if you really want them; there may be some disgruntled owners out there. i got rid of mine long ago.