Kustom Amp Not Sounding Right Anymore

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Iwalkedin, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Iwalkedin

Iwalkedin

I bought a Kustom B 1 the other day and it worked fine for a a few days but now I think its busted. The sound is always really distorted/muddy and it only has 5 knobs and I've tried adjusting them all in various ways. My friend said he thought something was loose so I opened it up and everything seemed fine. Sometimes I'll strike a few notes and it will sound normal again but then after a more notes it goes back to that horrible sound. I think I might have blown it by playing too loud but the speaker seems fine. I even tried another bass and 2 types of pickups. It is a really old amp though I opened it up and the circuit board had that funny vintage smell. I've searched around and everything I see is just a simple knob adjustment but I know its not that

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

What speaker cabinets are you using it with??

3. Iwalkedin

Iwalkedin

ohh sorry forgot to mention its a combo amp

4. BassmanPaul

My thoughts are that the speaker is now damaged and/or something i damaged in the power amp. This is, after all, IIRC, just a 100W amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Iwalkedin

Iwalkedin

I put the amp on its back with the speaker facing up and like a miricle it started working right again. Then I put it back upright and it was muddy again. Oh well I dont mind playing with it on its back the sound is good

thanks for your help

7. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

then check to see if some wires or insulation is laying on the back of the speaker when it is vertical....

8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass Iwalkedin.

I'll second Jim Campbell's suggestion to first check the speaker and the speaker connections.
    A loose spider or a rubbing tinsel lead will produce that kind of symptoms.

Given the information about the behaviour with different combinations, I have a hunch that the bad connection might be somewhere in the HV circuit though, so in order to prevent permanent failure or even fire, I'd also get the amp section checked out by a competent person.

Regards
    Sam

9. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

yep,check the cheap stuff first....watching a tech pull a blown fuse out of your amp is pricey and embarrassing....

10. David Jayne

David Jayne

This suggests a bad connection somewhere. I would bet that one of the connections on one of the control pots has worked loose from the preamp board. I've had it happen to two different amps.

11. teemuk

teemuk

Id guess either...

a) Coil rubbing / deformation: The speaker's voice coil has been overheated and deformed. The coil gets "stuck" or rubs against the magnet resulting into distorted sound.

b) Intermittency: There's an intermittent contact inside the amp or in the coords. (It can really be anywhere). Being mechanical by nature, intermittency issues are highly subjective to "stress", so hitting the amp or tilting it may momentarily restore the contact. Even slight movement from "rumble" of playing the amp, or thermal expansion, may alter how properly the contact is being made, if not all. Typical symptons range from loss of overall volume level to signal going entirely muted. In the "in between" zone you have symptons like occasional "pop" in the signal, overall loss of highs and muddyness, even distortion, which I believe is caused by contact chatter. Not all symptons may portray but usually one or two will.

Option a) should be easy to rule out: Try another speaker. If the amp works with it the speaker was broken. For troubleshooting option b) I recommend you either have knowledge and skills on the matter or contact someone who does.

12. BassmanPaul

Is this the voice of experience here Jim??? :bag: