Kustom DE810H speaker cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nigel Rahmshard, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Nigel Rahmshard

Nigel Rahmshard

Just picked up a Kustom DE 810 H speaker cabinet from musicians friend. Got a good deal on it. $349. Now i see today (12/8) they are on sale for $299. Not much info or pictures on the net about these. Its like an inch or two narrower width wise and height wise compared to an Ampeg SVT 810. That said, im not even sure how you could build something and ship it from china to the usa and make money at that price. Although im sure they are making money. But for the box, tolex, 8 speakers, hardware, wiring, etc and sending it by boat over here, i dont know how they do it.

Anyway the important thing is the sound. Using a Hartke LH500 i can dial in anything from reggae to a more hi-fi sound. With 500 watts going into it and the volume on 2 (0 being off) it shakes everything in my house. So this cab seems to be plenty loud. Im not gonna profess all kinds of crazy nuances in sound like some reviewers do. But it sounds good. As good as a $2000 cabinet, maybe, but probably not. Could the audience tell a difference in a blind test. I seriously doubt it.

I am mainly posting this because i took a bunch of pictures since i couldnt find any on the net. The speaker grill is not as see through as it looks in the pictures. I mainly just wanted to show everyone what you get in this 8-10 speaker box for a pretty cheap price. The only thing i wish it had a was a dial to adjust the horn.

I dont work for MF or Kustom. I just got what i feel was a deal and it turned out sounding great, which i was especially excited about because i bought it without testing one anywhere.

Attached Files:

2. Nigel Rahmshard

Nigel Rahmshard

speakers as seen through the rear jack plate. handles on the bottom.

Attached Files:

3. Nigel Rahmshard

Nigel Rahmshard

jack plate and speaker.

Attached Files:

4. Nigel Rahmshard

Nigel Rahmshard

jack plate and speakers with the grill off.

Hope you guys enjoyed the pictorial and i hope it helps someone out!!

Jon

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MeLikeDaLowNote

MeLikeDaLowNote

You can get em now for $299 and free shipping. That's insane.

Anyone else have experience with this cab?

7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Just got one for 12% off of that at http://wwbw.com (one of MF's sister sites) with the promo code on their front page "holly12". $264 shipped - that's double-dog-dare insane for a 8x10 !

8. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

I need an 810 like I need another hole in my head, but this is super-tempting. Unfortunatley, with Christmas upon us, and all my gig money going to pay for a doctor bill (broke my left hand/thumb) I'll have to live without it for now. Looks good though, especially for the $$.

9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    They must be clearing out a model that's going to be discontinued or something. I don't think I could put together an 810 for that even considering wholesale part cost to be 1/2 of retail and using the lowest cost speakers I could find.

Get 'em while they're hot.

Be curious as to how you guys think it sounds on the gig. That is a crazy low price for most any cab, let alone an 810....geez. There is going to be some happy bass players out there.

10. RoadRanger

Thing is I grabbed an Acoustic B810 for $350 shipped not long ago but couldn't resist the $264 DE810 - it's like I have some sort of disease or somethin' :( .

;)

11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Dual 810's. :bassist::bassist:

12. RoadRanger

I ran dual 9x10's once (Ampeg V9 cabs) - way too loud even with only a V4B pushing them :eek:.

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I wish I had gigs where I could partake of that sort of excess....it's a beautiful thing.

14. Nigel Rahmshard

Nigel Rahmshard

Yeah, ive been tempted to get another one. It sounds real good. I just wish it had a tweeter control.

15. RoadRanger

It has all the tweeter control you need for an 8x10 - you only need "off" anyways ;) . Just got it in, a nice looking cab :) .

16. PuppyPower43

PuppyPower43

I've been using mine in rehearsal for about 6 weeks and it's transformed my sound - best $299 I've ever spent on gear. The entire band noticed the difference. First show with this rig is on the 22nd - will report back after that!

17. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

I guess it was a close out. I can't even find that cab on MF right now.

18. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

They are available now in Europe....

19. grenadilla

grenadilla

Nice hefty magnet on that ten! Don't cuss Kustom!

20. RoadRanger

Hey, finally got mine out on a gig - largish outdoor stage, about 1000 cap venue. I cranked the SVT head up until it would overdrive when I dug in and it sounded great. Of course I was wearing earplugs, nobody sane is gonna stand in front of that combo on "11" unprotected unless they are deaf already - our front man takes his hearing aids out to play so no prob ;) .

One of the reasons I bought it is that it would fit well in my hatchback - it barely fit width-wise with the back seat 2/3 folded down and length-wise with the passenger's side seat pulled up a few inches. The Acoustic B810 I have is taller (longer) and wider. Wasn't really much of a hassle at all, I'll probably take it to other gigs where I'm not doing sound too :) .

How are every one else's doin'?

21. nysbob

nysbob

I ran into one of those kustom boxes in a backline situation once, and liked it a lot more than I thought I would.