L.A. bass shops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman31783, Mar 17, 2014.

1. bassman31783

bassman31783 Supporting Member

Wife & I are out here in L.A. & I'm wondering if there are any nice bass shops in the area. Ill also be in OC tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

Jeff

2. George Himmel

George Himmel

Disclosures:
    Manager, Bass San Diego
    Well, BassExchange is up in Sherman Oaks...

3. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    If you make it out the Sherman Oaks and the BassExchange, then you should also hit Norm's Rare Guitars (on Ventura Blvd) and California Vintage Guitars Van Nuys Blvd).

Between those three shops and Hollywood's flagship Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd, which has a great spread of vintage axes, you should end your Los Angeles sojourn dead broke.

Safe travels!

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

The GC vintage area is downstairs in the back of the store. As much as I dislike going in there, that back room is worth the visit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tbz

tbz Supporting Member

Avoid every other GC here; imo. Nothing worth spending time on.

If you're at GC Hollywood I know Mesa Boogie, across the street, had some interesting custom basses. Carvin's down from them a few doors as well IIRC; nothing amazing, but there aren't a lot of Carvin showrooms around.

7. noahw1

noahw1 Supporting Member

The Mesa Boogie store on Sunset has some Sadowsky's if you would like to try out a couple.

8. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    The Hollywood Sam Ash across the street from Guitar Center is also worth sticking your head in -- there are no vintage basses, but they are a RIC dealer and always have a couple of those in stock, plus they tend to have a VERY impressive selection of new basses, and I invariably find stuff I've been itching to play hanging there.

9. Octavio

Octavio

I'm from Hawaii and visit family in L.A. 1-2 times a year. As was stated above, you could see and try out a number of basses on Sunset Blvd. - Guitar Center, Carvin, and Sam Ash are almost next door to each other.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you're in OC, Bass San Diego would be just as close as Hollywood and well worth the drive. You'll be pleasantly surprised. They carry the stuff you won't see anywhere else in SoCal.

11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Truetone Music in Santa Monica for pedal heaven.

12. bassman31783

bassman31783 Supporting Member

Awesome. Thanks for all the responses. Didn't get a chance to go anywhere today but hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow. Thanks again.

Jeff

13. Testing123

Testing123 Eschew obfuscation Supporting Member

+1! http://www.basssandiego.com/

I live in O.C. and that's where I go for bass and related gear.
    Plus, Chris (owner) and George (manager) are great to deal with (great equipment and a great hang).
    Definitely worth the drive.

14. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Truetone is a great idea for a visitor as it is just blocks from Santa Monica beach, the pier, the promenade shops - all stuff your spouse might like to see.

One caveat with Truetone -- don't have a fit when you see the price tags! The store mark everything at list price, and leave it to you to haggle with them.

15. Holdsg

Holdsg If its got strings, and sings, I'm interested Supporting Member

Seems like this thread is over, as the visit is over, but let's hear it again for independent shops like basssandiego and Truetone!

16. Bald Steve

Bald Steve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Aguilar Amplification
    +1 - those guys will cut you a deal and a half if you hold your ground. Plus, like Nostatic said, it is pedal heaven if that's your thing. Lots of boutique stuff you can't find anywhere else.