L.L. BEAN or DULUTH TRADING CO. or ?!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pacojas, Dec 9, 2013.

?

who do you like for work or camping clothes?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2014.
  1. L.L. BEAN

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. DULUTH TRADING CO.

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. OTHER

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

hi, guys/gals!

it's about that time of the year when i get my "work clothes" makeover. i've tried regular jeans including those terrible "Dickies Brand" that barely last one year! i need jeans that can stay durable and not fall apart at the waist & knee's.

have any of ya'll had any luck with outdoor wear from either vendor? or maybe you know another brand that can go where Levi's, Lee, and Wrangler could never last! please help,... i work on a ranch where i wrestle with live-stock, drive tractors, and get filthy. i tired of going to work in shredded denim!:(

thank-you, for your concern!:)
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

3. Ironbar

Ironbar

Carhartt x2
  4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

Carhartt

As a native Mainer I hate LL Bean. It's all a bunch of over priced crap IMO. 20 years ago I spend $230 on a pair of boots because they had a lifetime guarantee. The boots lasted 2 winters and the stitching fell apart. They didn't honor their guarantee because they said I was putting them on wrong (?) A few years later they got rid of the lifetime guarantee but kept the same high prices.

There was one summer I worked at the Levi's outlet in Freeport which is next door to LL Bean's retail store. Every day before work I would go into Bean's and take a dump. It always gave me a demented pleasure to know I stunk up the bathroom for a few minutes.

The trout pond is pretty cool tho.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Carhartt. If not Carhartt, check out the Cabelas branded jeans.

I did the LL Bean thing when we lived in New Hampshire. Eddie Bauer is better anyway.

-Mike
  7. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

Lowsound shall be by to recommend Tough Duck soon enough, I have never used them. Carhartt is nice though.
  8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Right you are. Better than Carrhart by far.

lowsound
  9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

As immature as it is, I LOLed when I read that. :D
  10. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

+1 for Carhartt

Best set of scrubs I have ever bought.
  11. pacojas

thanks for the enlightenment, TB'ers!

it's time for me to up-grade my gear and i appreciate the leads. i am very vaguely aware of Carhartt, but Tough Duck?!! :eek:

(must search immediately);)
  12. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Big Bill.
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That's very surprising to me for some reason.
  14. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Filson. I haven't been able to afford any of their stuff since I got married, but it lasts pretty much forever.
  15. pacojas

lol,.. i've been in a nut shell when it comes to quality work apparel. it's the force of habit, i guess! i just buy consumer crap because it's cheap and highly accessible. :help:

WHEW!!! i almost hyper-ventilated,... talk about "Sticker Shock". their stuff is awesome, though! i am thanking you, also.;)
  16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I got some Cabela's jeans with with reinforced knees and extra room to move around in the waist/crotch area. They were carpenter style. Best jeans I ever had for work (back when I was in construction). They were the only work jeans I ever had that didn't wear through the back pockets around my wallet or tear all to pieces where I hang my pocket knife on my right hip pocket. I'm not sure if they still make them. I think "Roughneck" was the line but that might be their boots.
  17. two fingers

When working a particularly dirty job I went to Wal-Mart (or was it Sears) and got some Lee brand carpenter's jeans. For the price those suckers did very well. They didn't last like the Cabela's but they also cost about half as much.
  18. two fingers

Also, the "Bargain Cave" at Cabela's web site is something I check quite often. There can be really good deals on all kinds of outdoor/work related stuff there. Especially the "Rock Bottom Deals" section. As we speak (type) I'm wearing $145 Keen hikers I got for less than $40 including shipping. So, if you are the "manly man" type, checking by there on occasion may net you some deals.
  19. carl h.

carl h.

Lone vote for Duluth Pack. Heavyweight stuff that is well made.

Been to Cabela a few times, not impressed with anything I found there. Overpriced lightweight consumer stuff.
  20. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

Carhart. I work in a harsh environment and it's all that cuts it.
  21. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

LL Bean. They DO honor their lifetime guarantee. Out of dozens of purchases over a 25 year time span I've used the warranty 3 times and twice were on boots that were 7 - 8 years old.

In comparison, my wife bought a pair of hiking boots from Cabelas that came apart after
    4 campouts within an 18 month time span. Cabelas would not replace the boots even though their boot warranty says it's for the lifetime of the "PRODUCT" and referred me to the 90 day return policy. Apparently they consider some of their boots to have a short life to begin with. Turns out those boots were made in China.

LL Beans warranty is for life...meaning YOUR life.

So we don't buy boots from Cabelas anymore. LL Bean - Yes.