1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

L2000 or Diamond P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xajuran, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Xajuran

Xajuran

25 yr player, mostly rock,funk, blues, folk, some metal, some country. Looking for my next bass. What I really want is an American P deluxe with a humbucker at the bridge. What I'm considering is a schecter diamond p, or a G & L L2000 tribute.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Xa

2. jlepre

jlepre

I have the 5 string version of the Diamond P, and I love it! So much so I just bought another one. Should be here by the weekend.

Very usable tones, and the feel is nice for a sub $500 bass.

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have owned a Schecter and a G & L. I liked the sound of the G & L better but liked the neck on Schecter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

I felt this way too, but it got significantly better after raising the bridge pickup closer to the strings.

7. Xajuran

Xajuran

I'll admit that surprises me. I thought the G&L would have the better neck.

what about the tone differences? Do they both have a decent p tone?

8. Xajuran

Xajuran

Let me clarify by saying that the American P is not really an option, so I'm trying to solicit opinions regarding the comparison between the L2000 and the Diamond P.

Thanks in advance!

(by the way if you can think of a comparably priced alternative to these two, please share)

Xa

9. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Again, I think you should try the Blacktop Jazz. I haven't tried it, but it looks nice to me. It really is a P bass so it will have that sound perfectly, and it has the P pickup at the bridge, which should be unique and interesting. And it's $499 street price is the same as the Diamond P.

10. Xajuran

Xajuran

thanks for the suggestion. I took a look at the fender site, and that jazz looks sharp. I own an American standard jazz, was really looking for something was with a bit more versatility. I'll have to see if i can't find one locally to try.

Xa

11. MontzterMash

MontzterMash

I own a Schecter Riot bass which will be similar except for the electronics, and an L2000, and they're both great (whichever one I'm playing is my favorite bass). They will feel different, and the G&L will likely have better stock electronics.

I looking for a P bass thing, have you seem a G&L SB-2? That might be worth checking out.

12. ElKabong

ElKabong

In all honesty, I don't usually play tributes or schecters. If you like fenders and MusicMan's Id go for the L-2000 hands down. I understand the pickups are the same as my usa L-2000 and that thing is awesome. The neck is chunky but imo one of the most solid feeling basses around and it has tone for days, whatever that means.

13. SJan3

SJan3

I'll toss in my vote for the L2000. Very versatile electronics with the ability to approach the most popular P and J bass tones along with a host of its own.

14. Xajuran

Xajuran

Thank everyone for your help. I am going with the l2000.

Xa

15. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

16. jlepre

jlepre

I guess if you have an extra $800 to spend. Kind of comparing apples to oranges