1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

L2000 vs JB-2 vs Fender Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mbernard110, Jul 24, 2012.

1. L2000

64 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. JB-2

36 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. MIM Jazz Bass

24 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Hi, I am a longtime lurker of this great forum, in the market for a tribute series G&L L2000 or JB-2 or a MIM Fender Jazz bass. I would like to know opinions in terms of weight, sound, parts quality, and any other info you guys can give. And I have read that G&L tribute JB's have superior hardware compared to a MIM Jazz, so I would also like to know of any good/recommended mod's that could be made to make the MIM a better bass. Thanks!!!

2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    G& L2000 or JB2 you can't go wrong with, just a matter of which suits you better. The MIM Fender...not even in the same league!!

3. Sponsored by:

4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    This.

5. seventhsunbass

seventhsunbass

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
    ....and a big Ditto from the mountains of the East.

6. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    A tribute G&L has a 1.75" nut width and is going to play very differently from a JB-2 or a MIM Jazz FWIW.

7. Ok, thanks guys! Any other recommendations within that price range? I am having trouble finding a good L2000 in the finish I want (natural w/ maple fretboard).

8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
  9. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    I've never owned a G&L Tribute but I understand their build quality is very good. Same electronics as their USA models. I do own two USA L-2000's, one with the 1.75 and the other with a 1.5 neck. I also own a USA SB-2 which right now is my go to bass. I have two MIM Jazz and one MIM Precision. If I had the money, I would always go with the USA G&L. But if money is an issue and the neck is not an issue, I'd go with the L2000 Tribute. Just my HO.

My avatar is a G&L Legacy (LB100) with the 1.75 neck. Killer sound.

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I'd say JB-2 . . . But that's a guess. Whatever floats your boat. :hyper:

11. L2K has a wide variety of tonal options. It would be the most versatile if that's a factor in your decision. They're also typically a great deal if you go used.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Either one of the G&L Tributes over the MIM Fender, so it's just a matter of which you prefer. The Tribute JB-2 has a 1.5" nut width, if that matters. Or, you could split the difference with a Tribute SB-2. It has hot MFD pickups like the L-2000, but in passive-only P/J configuration for something closer to "classic" tones. The JB-2 is even more traditional, with straight up alnico J-type single coils.

13. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    In my opinion G&L make better instruments than Fender.
    I think that if Leo Fender had not sold his company to CBS Fenders would have evolved into what the G&Ls are anyway.
    I think that Leo knew that there were some better ways to do things than his original design.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    the public at large seems to disagree!:bag:

(there is something about Leo's first designs that make his last ones pale in comparison, IMHO)

OP, if you got the Fender, the only up-grade i would consider is pups. but, even that is a waste of money to me!:)

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I owned a Tribute L2000 and a MIM Jazz fretless, and, while the Fender was a very good one, the G&L blew it away with versatility. Its simple controls allow a lot of variation.

I eventually abandoned mine for a Classic '50s P, on the basis of tone, but I really liked the Tribute.

[​IMG]

16. Great thanks for all the feedback! love this forum... working on finding one just like what Mr. lpdeluxe has in the pic above.

17. mrjim123

mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I owned a Tribute L-2000 and currently own a Tribute JB-2. The only "Fender" I've ever owned is a Squier VM Jazz that I bought a few years ago. I would say definitely get a G&L. Try both if you can and see which you like. I prefer the JB-2's narrower and thinner neck, personally. The L2000 has more tonal options, but I get all I need from the JB-2.

18. sailri

sailri

Nov 16, 2007
    Rhode Island
    If it helps, there's a natural w/maple that looks to be in nice shape, but used, at http://used.guitarcenter.com $499 plus shipping is a tad high - but their shipping is pretty cheap. Say $530. You can do a little better, by about $70 if you shop here at Talkbass and just be patient. But I've bought used from GC online and I recommend it - if you have one near you ship it there, inspect it, and say "no thanks" if it has issues.

Item number is 107872634 but you should probably just do a "National Search" for "G&L" in Bass category.

Personally the JB-2 Tribute at $299 is a steal, the black L-2000 Trib at $349 is a deal, and the Cherryburst L-2000 with maple is the one you should really buy! That's got the big logo so it is Korean made. It's arguable which is better - Indonesian vs Korean - but for sure there were some better color finishes in the Korean made models that didn't make the transition over to Indonesia. That Cherryburst is one of them I believe.

Attached Files:

19. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Thanks. I really liked it. If I find an L2500 with that finish I'll probably buy it.

The JB-2 is essentially G&L's take on the Jazz, with the dual pickups and the narrow neck. I prefer the larger L2000 neck. By the way, it had a 12" radius fingerboard with a satin finish that was the best feeling neck I've played. Fit and finish were really nice.

Here's another pic:

[​IMG]

20. stretberas

stretberas

Jul 3, 2012
    try MIM jazz bass Deluxe series...with active preamp , sounds great to me..:bassist:

21. MarkD1

MarkD1

Sep 2, 2012
    I have a line on a good deal on a sunburst Tribute JB-2, but I'm wondering about the pickups. My current bass is a MIM Fender J, and I'm having trouble in an electrically noisy venue because the pups are not humbucking, so I really need an upgrade. I'm not much of a gearhead. Anybody know the specs or where I can find them on the pickups for the Tribute JB-2?

The product description typically says "It comes equipped with 2 USA Made, G&L vintage single coil jazz type pickups controlled by separate Volume controls for each pickup and a single Tone control." and "Pickups: 2 G&L vintage Alnico jazz type pickups." I'm not smart enough to know if that means these are humbuckers.