1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

L2K 3 bolt neck on 6 bolt body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninerfan, Dec 23, 2012.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

Will a 3 bolt L2000 neck work on a 6 bolt body? I understand there is a little metal disc for the micro tilt on the 3 bolt. Will the screw for the 6 bolt miss the disc or will it be in the way?

Thanks!
  2. ninerfan

ninerfan

Anyone? Did the size or shape of the neck change when they went to a 6 bolt pattern?
  3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

The main difference is the length of the neck, G&L made the 6 bolt a little longer for some reason. If you use a 3 bolt on a 6 bolt body you'll have to move the saddles back to intonate properly. You might have to remove the saddle springs to get the E and A saddles back far enough.
    There can also be other fit issues, like how deep the neck pocket is, how deep the neck heel is, and width of the pocket and heel. I've done a lot of neck swapping on G&Ls and it only works well about 50-60% of the time. I've never been successful at putting a 3 bolt on a 6 bolt in either direction (neck or body).

Here's a 1998 3 bolt next to a 2009 6 bolt, notice the extra fingerboard length after the last fret.

[​IMG]
  4. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Oh, and the metal disc is in the center of the neck right at the end of the heel. The 6 bolts are at the sides of the neck pocket, so they'll easily clear the metal disc.