1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

La bella 6 string flatwounds, tapping, slap, fingerstyle

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by olko, Nov 18, 2012.

1. olko

olko

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

IMHO, flatwound strings and slapping do not mix. (Yes, I know Larry Graham used flats with Sly Stone, but that's about all they had back then.) I'm not an expert on metal, but I would think you'd want a little more top end for that too. Flats are very dark and mellow sounding, more like blues or motown.
  3. olko

olko

I play prog so its like Dream Theater, and im not sure if flats would sound good in band, i thought high end could be EQ'd but am not sure, im hoping that someone who plays this kind of music and could tell me if i shold or shouldnt get em.

But htanks for reply :)
  4. CnB77

CnB77

I would use roundwounds personally
  5. olko

olko

so you think flatwounds would have been wrong choice?
  6. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    If you do switch to flats - the LaBella's are my favorits.
    Flatwound strings are cool, and I like the thump they have when slapped, but for metal... they would be too muddy.

Try the "Super Steps" roundwounds, Specially if you tap.
  7. olko

olko

Well im looking for strings that would sound good for long time and have reasonable price :) i like to tap but, i hate when roundwounds are worn out... so im looking for lasting strings and i heard that flats are lasting very long :) unfortunately i dont have money to try flats so thats the reason why im asking :)
  8. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    That's a problem.
    "Chime" is the first thing that goes away when strings wear out.
    Flatwounds don't have much of it to begin with so not much to lose.
  9. Duckwater

Duckwater

I occasionally use chromes in my metal band and they sound perfect, powerful and bright with a big percussive low end. They sound great being slapped too, but they are harder to play than roundwounds(less flexable) and I couldn't imagine tapping proficiently on them.
  10. olko

olko

Also i would like to run them through body so super steps afaik are not good choice :) but if you could help me with string choice i would be very happy :)
  11. olko

olko

well the problem would be they aren't made for 6 string bass :/
  12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You could slap / pop / tap / pick / thumb / etc etc on any type of string... But with every type of string a different technique or effort is going to need to be used.

To get flats to speak when tapping you are going to need to use that much more pressure / effort.

I can slap on my La Bella 1954 Original flats, but I can't do the same stuff I can do on my 40-95 round wounds... at least not as effortlessly...
  13. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Chromes have a single High-C available as well as single Low-B's...

Best thing with Chromes is get the lightest gauge 4 string set and High-C and Low-B singles...
  14. olko

olko

This seems like good solution but none of my local dealers have CHromes single strings
  15. olko

olko

Also if i would order them from outside of the country, wouldnt be 40-95 set be just too sloppy?
  16. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

Not at all, IMO. I think you'll find them about right if you are coming from playing rounds.
  17. olko

olko

SO if i would get 32, 40-95, 132 it would be good if right now i have roundwound 30 45-105 130?
  18. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:

If you are planning on doing any kind of tapping / slapping with flats... the lighter the gauge the better...
  19. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Have you heard of Half-Round strings? They are Rounds that have been ground flat. This leaves you with a string that feels like a flat, has tone phat like a flat, but the flexibility of a round wound.
  20. olko

olko

Well its like i mostly play with fingers (3) but have parts in songs that have slapping and tapping in them